Thread: Lost a hen today

Lost a hen today

Lost a Buff Orpington pullet today. She had been very listless and wobbly for a couple of days, and her crop felt distended but spongy...not like after a bird gorges itself. I was planning on culling her today if no improvement (to protect the other birds) but turns out I didn't have to. Do those symptoms ring a bell with anybody?

Pete

Re: Lost a hen today

What other breeds do you have? When I was younger my family had some of the fancy breeds. I have often thought of getting some bantam old english games again

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

I lost a Buff Orpington chick the other day. My wife let the Pit Bull out to play with the German Shepard and it got in the hen house [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Wasn't pretty.
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Pete, I haven't encountered anything like that. It sounds like she may have eaten something that expanded in her crop.

Coincidently, I lost a buff the other day, but it was to a predator. Probably to my neighbor's dog, again.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Other breeds include RIR, barred rocks, and a couple of banty light brahma cocks who are so small they have trouble mounting the big hens! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete