Thread: Ag/Farm Cooperatives in Mass?

Ag/Farm Cooperatives in Mass?

I posted this on TBN, but maybe there will be some new faces here shortley that have the answer:

I can swear I found some kind of agriculture/farm cooperative in Essex County Mass on the web. Thought I bookmarked it, but now can't find it. I've googled every combination of words I can think of, but can't find anything. Also tried yellow pages & surfing around Mass.gov web page & Umass Extension.

So, Is my memory failing (that's scary considering my tender young age) or is there something out there? Any national lists of cooperatives exist? Anything in S.E NH or S Maine?

I've sent my soil samples off to Umass to test b4 I seed the new lawn, but a local place to talk to someone face to face would be much better. Also hoping to borrow/rent equipment for cheap.
    Hazmat

Re: Ag/Farm Cooperatives in Mass?

Hazmat,
    In Texas we have County AG Extension Offices, usually in the county seat. That's where I picked up my forms for soil tests. Anything like that around there?
    They have all kinds of info on what to plant and where, advice on ponds and other topics too.
    lloyd

Hazmat:

Like texas, Indiana also has county extension/agricultural agents. In ouyr case they receive partial funding by our Ag University (Purdue) and county Govt. Additionally, we have the Soil and conservation office. If you can't find someone locally easily enough, you might want to check with whichever university in your state which leans towards ag.

IndianaPaul

Thanks for the tips so far.

Umass has an extension school. The Agriculture part seems to be centered in Amherst (which is 2 hours +/- from me). They have some local extensions, but the nearest one Lawrence, MA is for Nutrition not Agriculture.

I've noticed that the more rural states have county offices of their extension schools. I just found that Maine for example has one in each county. York County Maine is closer to me than Amherst MA. I've also found that the web sites of the more rural states have way more info published online for a good price (FREE!)

I don't think the thing I seem to remember finding on the web was directly affiliated with Umass.
    Hazmat

Hazmat,

UNH in Durham has a cooperative extension department funded by the state.

If you are looking for some good help re soils, and such go to Dodges Agway Rt 1 in Hampton Falls - just up the road from you.

They have most stuff (or access to it) that you would need for trees, lawns, and general a good place to go if you need help with a particular problem.

Carl