Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20x30 Metal Building

20x30 Metal Building

I was looking at a 20x30 metal building. I am in Central Florida, and they want about $4,500 (Building only). For this area, does this price seem appropriate? These buildings are rated for 120mph winds... They use 2.5" tubing with 48" on center.

Another question: Should I put the rollup door on the 30' side or the 20' side? I can see some pros and cons to either configuration, but I wanted some feedback to make sure I make the best decision...

Thanks,

Joe

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: 20x30 Metal Building

Joe, there are a bunch of companies that sell metal buildings. Most of them are quanset(sp?) hut type buildings. I eventually want to put one up to store hay in. I'm afraid to store it in my barn, because I'm afraid of a hay fire. I contacted a lot of the companies for info, and now they hound me all the time with phone calls offering 50% off sales on their prices. I just don't have the money to put it up yet!

Contact several of the companies and do a price check. Let them know you're shopping and you'll probably be showered with "bargin" offers. Someone has to have the best price!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Have you checked you local Home Depot store, they might have somebody to put a building up for you.

Local Menards store here has maintenance free garage here (26X30X8) for $3469. Vinyl siding and shingles.

Pole barn, (30X45X10), with 2 large doors and walkin, $6459.

These are building only prices, no cement, wiring, etc.

PS: Our winter home is north of 192 on 27, south of Clermont. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Interesting question about the r/u door location. If the building manufacturer gives you this option it may come down to what you plan to use this building for. I'd probably position it on the long side toward one end. That way if you want to come back and install a second door there'll be enough room for it. Whatever, put the door on the leeward side of the prevailing wind to reduce dirt and debris from blowing into the structure.

<font color="blue"> Another question: Should I put the rollup door on the 30' side or the 20' side? I can see some pros and cons to either configuration, but I wanted some feedback to make sure I make the best decision...[ </font color>
    JoeR
    With normal construction of a pole barn, the ends have a header that will allow the maximum clearance to get equipment inside of barn. The sides usually have a 1 X 12 header for the door that reduces the height of the door opening.
    My barn is 30 X 40'. I have one door on the 30' side that is 4' from the sidewall. The second door is on the long side that 4' from the opposite end of building that the end door is on. This allows me to put equipment in the barn without having to move equipment that was put in from other door.
    Many barns around this area have a door on each end of barn. This allows equipment to be pulled through barn without backing up or disconnecting.
    When I had my barn built I thought 30 X 40 X 10'high would be plenty. I wish I had made it 12' high. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not much added cost. This would allow me to put my current boat inside.
    My doors are 12' wide. This allows more access to the barn with wide trailers and other equipment. Putting the doors at least 4' off any sidewall allows for storage along that wall.
    The service door is on the very coroner of the building. There always seems to be something behind it that will not allow it to fully open. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
    I do not have rollup doors. raising the height to the barn will add to the cost if you also increase the height of the rollup door.

Joe,

I have a 40x60.

That sounds about right. Although the quality varies quite a bit from company to company so check it out carefully.

I assume that that cost is without assembly?

If you want a concerete floor that will cost more than the building and the assembly will also cost about as much as the raw buidling kit.

Fred

Joe,

Is it a bolt up building or weld up? Are the plans signed off by an engineer?

We recently finished a 30'x40' with 12' wall height. The kit cost $5350 here in NE Texas. Came with one 12x10 overhead door &amp; one personnel door, gutters, trim, ect. It was a weld up building, which is cheaper then bolt up. Did not come with engineer sign off, since engineer who designed plans can't inspect welds. Would not of been able to built it if we were in city limits. Foundation cost was another 2500, formed by us, but poured &amp; finished by pro crew. Insulation was 1000, and spent another 300 painting the framework John Deere green to keep the Kubota from getting too uppity.

HTH,
    Dave

Joe

Go for 50/50 like I did.

Cheers

From OZ

we went with the national barn special for about $5200 installed 30x50x10, dirt floor. They did a great job and ours looks like the galvanized one on the web site. The Kubota and all the 3 point implements fit just fine with a ton of room left over. national barn webpage I only hope it holds up during tornado season, but since I have jumped up and down on it I think it probably will. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

How long ago did you buy the barn? The price I got the other day was 7800 installed. I would much rather have the 5200.