Thread: Bull Rental

Bull Rental

I live in Central Ontario Canda and have only 4 cows that need to be bred. Other than AI, and recognizing that I don't really want to buy a bull, what options are there? I have heard of renting but what is a fair price?
    Thanks

Re: Bull Rental

Have you ever thought of artificial insemination. I think you can purchase Bull semen on the web..... Jerry

There are a number of guys who rent bulls. The price will all depend on the bull. AI is your best bet. It's really not that hard to do.

I lease a registered Angus bull from a breeder. He stays at my place all year, I provide pasture, feed, meds and $15 per cow. With only 30 cows, this is as cheap or cheaper than owning. With 4 cows, if you don't want to fool with AI, you might consider paying to run them with someone else's herd until they have been bred. If you have facilities to handle them, I think I would look into AI. Good luck!

I, too, lease a registered Angus bull as I've found it can be cheaper to rent for two breeding cycles (approx. two months)than it is to own, feed, de-worm, etc. This allows me to keep all my heifers, get a different bull each year, and control breeding times. The most I have ever paid is $200. I don't like to lease one that is much over 2-3 years old as they can be a little too ornery. I have neices and nephews coming over all the time and I don't want to have an older, meaner bull around.

Regarding the fee, people around here have come to know that I'll take care of their bull when it is here, and as much grass as I have they will always get their bull back with plenty of weight gain. This year I had the choice of two different bulls to choose from two different people. One offered to let me keep his registered bull for free. Which one do you think I chose?

AI....is artifical insementation.Here is a good link....
    Leachman Cattle