Thread: Barn with loft or two seperate buildings?

Barn with loft or two seperate buildings?

I have a need for a tractor storage area about 20 by 30 (larger if money allows) and my wife wants a garden building that would be around 20 by 15. Normally I would try and build an upstairs on the tractor shed but someone told me that two seperate buildings would cost less. I plan on building the tractor shed along side of a hill, at the top would be the wifes garden shed either seperate or as an upstairs loft area.
    Does anyone have any ideas either way?
    PJ

Re: Barn with loft or two seperate buildings?

Pajoube,

I can see why some would recommend two different building rather than one. A 20'x30' building that has no interior obstructions is hard to put a second story on with out using heavy structural material like steel or engineered lumber beams. Both of those options will add considerable cost to the building. I think a simple pole barn structure with manufactured trusses and metal roofing would save enough to build a separate garden building. Of course if you do not have the room for two buildings or the hill you mentioned causes restrictions, one building may be the way to go.

MarkV

In the background of this picture is my 20X30 barn when it was under construction. I will take a finished picture this afternoon. It has a loft in the top.
    Brent Pepper
    In God We Trust

I built a pole barn last year with a loft and it has worked out well. The building is 24X40 with 12' sidewalls and has two lofts, one 14X24 and the other 8X24 at each end of the building. The initial construction cost may have been slightly more than a 30X48 pole barn with 10' sidewalls, but my footprint is smaller and longterm my maintenance costs should be slightly less. If you can, build a little bigger than you think you'll need. I thought 24X40 would be plenty and ended up adding a 16X26 shed addition onto the barn this summer.

See attached for pricing on a two story.

Thanks to all for your great ideas and suggestions.
    This barn will be built next summer so I have some time to continue the research. Thanks for your pictures, they really help.
    PJ

PJ,

I built 24x36 with a loft, addl cost $2500 for floor and floor trusses 16" O/C for 60 Lb PSF load. No poles downstairs to run into..

I have promised a garden shed on the end of this about 14x16' since the gardener wants water, south facing windows and a brick floor.

So I would think 2x about having a second floor loft as a planting/garden shed since water and wood don't mix esp above your tractor!!

Carl