Thread: Pickled Beets recipe needed!!

Pickled Beets recipe needed!!

Hi all,

We have a LOT of beets and would really like to make pickled beets....but we're having a hard time finding a recipe that doesn't require a pressure canner. Does anyone have a good recipe they use that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks!
    Kevin

Re: Pickled Beets recipe needed!!

If I can remember correctly, Beets need to be cooked for the correct time to ensure all bacteria is killed. Beets are very dense and need to be brought to a temp above boiling, thus the pressure cooker. You could probably use any pickling recipe and cook on the stove until cooked but I think you'd have to eat them within a couple of weeks.

I just spoke to an expert (the CFO and CCO in our house) and she has expertly informed me that you do not have to pressure can pickled beets. If you are canning unpickled beets, yes... you must pressure cook them.

We have canned them in the past and are still alive and kicking. If you need the recipe, just let me know and I will pass it along. It is quite good and the results are tasty. OBTW, after opening the jar of beets, boil some eggs and toss them in the with beets - yummmm.... purple eggs.

Terry

P.S. CCO is Chief Canning Officer. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the correction. I should have done a little homework first. I've made many pickled beets but not put up in jars. I'd let them sit like fresh dills for a couple of days and then eat em up. And yes I have put the eggs in as well. They go over real big at deer camp every year. I've used a recipe very similar to this

recipe

Ours is slighly different, but not much. The wife says equal measurements of sugar, vinegar, and water. The rest is pretty close. This will give you a little more syrupy juice with that sugar/vinegar bite. OBTW, we do not can with the eggs in the jar. They are added later on. The eggs absorb the juice quickly. Dang, I'm getting hungry for some pickled beets and eggs. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Terry

Kevin,

Thanks for the recipe. I've got to say I'm kind of surprised to see cloves and cinnamon in there! Can't say as I've ever tasted cloves in pickled beets before.

Kevin

Terryinmd, That is excatly how we make them here in ky. They are my most favorite thing from the garden. Especially with spaghetti and soup beans. The ones fixed other ways are the absolute worst thing I have ever eaten especially with the cloves. I guess everyone has their own taste. But I do hate the vinegar smell cooking in the kitchen.

Patrick

Not to get off subject, but when we have pickle production, jamming and jellying, and pesto making going on the house just smells like you want to eat it. Where one smell leaves off, the other is right behind.

Now if you want to smell something - try basil stems that have sat out overnight in your house. Very potent!! It gets to where I hate the smell of basil by the end of summer. It's our top money maker... but it just gets to me!! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Terry