Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar Addiction

Vinegar Addiction

Reading the salsa thread reminded me that I think I am a vinegarholic. For example, I LOVE salads. But upon sober reflection, I think salad is merely a vehicle to slurp salad dressing. And salad dressing is just dressed up vinegar. (Don't like the white or orange salad dressings.) Usually, I absolutely drench my salads in dressing, and I am certain to spoon up all the dregs. Similarly, chips are merely the vehicle to shovel salsa into my mouth, and the salsa is primarily a matrix to hold bomblets of spicy vinegar. Just speaking for myself, of course. Am I alone?

Re: Vinegar Addiction

No, you are not. I love vinegar and oil, vinegrette and italian salad dressings as well as picante sauce. My wife stuffs a venison shoulder with a slurry of vinegar, Tony Chachere's season salt, black pepper, minced onions and minced garlic. She pokes holes in the roast and stuffs the seasoning in with her fingers. Yum, Yum! Don't forget pickled eggs, pickled okra, and pickles!

I always thought my love of vinegar was odd, kinda of a closet type secret, and I am glad to see there are others like me. Now you done gone and got me hungry for something with vinegar in it and I am at work where there is none! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Chris

It may have started with my father, as many things did in my life. He was from Scotland. In Britain, they don't dip their chips (ie, french fries) in ketchup. They dip fries in vinegar. That's what we always did in my house. When fries were served, everyone had their own little bowls of vinegar. Then, of course, he loved Scotch (meat) Pies, drenched with a vinegary "brown sauce". The closest commercial product to brown sauce is HP Sauce. So sorry you're at work. I think I'll have a slug of balsamic mushrooms.

Man, you're killing me! Hey! I just remembered... there is a bottle of balsamic vinegar on the lunch table here at work! Now if I can just find something to go with it....... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Chris

Living here outside of Detroit I would occasionally mosey across the river to dine in Windsor, Ontario. That's where you won't find a ketchup bottle on the table at the local fish and chip pub but my favorite vinegar is everywhere! mmmm!
    And for dinner tonight, a visit to the Scottish bakery is in order; meat pies (the kids favorite) bridies, shepherds pies, double mmmmm! (and I thought we were having pizza tonight)

David
    David

Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a salad with lots of fresh garlic!
    Heaven!!!
    Chips in vineger diped in mustard do well too.
    Egon

I'm not hooked or anything, but I find my balsamic vinegar consumption to sort of keep increasing. I seem to find more and more excuses (reasons?) to inclued it in recipes.

Is there a VA (vinegarholics anonymous) organization where I might get help?

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

For all you Balsimic vinegar heads, I saw recently on CNN where Balsamic Vinegar has been added to some dictionary, New American or ... I don't recall which. So I guess your status as fringies is gone now that Balsamic Vinegar has gone mainstream. Oh by the way... I love Balsamic vinegar and just reading this vinegar thread makes my mouth water. I gotta go do a salad or something...

Pat

My favorite vinagrette is called "our favorite vinagrette" in the Silver Palette Cookbook. Red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, a pinch of sugar, fresh pepper, and olive oil. Finest kind with asparagus, or just to lick.

Chuck

Chuck, Than sounds yummy. And to think there are still folks who believe artichokes and asparagus exist to make the public consumption of massive quantities of mayonaise, socially acceptable.

Would it be heresy to suggest, only for a change of pace, a slight hint of taragon, added to your elixir or alternatively just a wee bit of balsamic vinegar along with the red, for a few "extra flavor notes?"

Patrick