Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to sell on web site

What to sell on web site

Ok, I just wanted to be the first to post in one of the forums. I am a computer geek wanna-be. I've been thinking about setting-up my first website and I thought that maybe I should have a goal or purpose in mind. Any thoughts as to what I should sell or do with it? I guess if I'm going to have a website it should at least pay for itself. (about $10 per month) [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: What to sell on web site

good luck! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] {slightly sarcastic} there's no competition out there so it should be easy.

Based on my experience (solely), the only real way is to keep people shopping is to find a niche ... and still offer better prices than anywhere else. For example, I frequent a GL1800 (goldwing) site which is attached to an online store. I do shop there .... but, really, only because the prices are better than anywhere else.

The "problem" [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] with the internet is that everyone expects to get something for nothing, free stuff, or better prices than they can find on the street ... and don't care about shipping costs, taxes, or someone wishing to make a living. (look at all the folks that spend hours and connection costs to download "free" music)

I currently own/host 2 websites and I just eat the $5/month they each cost me .... maybe I'll try to write them off on taxes.

anyway, good luck!

pete (also Michigan)
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

A few years ago, i had a site set up like a little mall using affiliate links.. it actually made a few hundred bucks, but it took an awful lot of time. At one time if you searched at MSN for Barnes and Nobles, my site was first and the real one came up second.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    but it has gone away now do to time..
    If you use affiliates, a) don't plan on getting rich, and b)choose wisely and don't put a million links on your page..

Good Luck
    Curtis
    Livin' the simple life, 'ceptin' my high speed internet! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A web site is only an extension of your total marketing plan. I’ve spent hours trying to convince clients that it’s not a miracle cure to poor marketing, only another tool. If you have a unique product, it will help. If you’re going to be selling something that can be had anywhere, you’ll be in a price war with 1000’s of other web sites.

Maybe find someone locally that has a craft/home décor product that isn’t available elsewhere. That way you not only benefit them and yourself but help your local economy. That’s what I feel country life is all about.

Above all, keep it simple.

Vince
    Jinma dealer and sausage maker in SE Michigan.

Wingnut is right about finding a niche. A friend makes, believe it or not, porcupine head dresses for Native Americans. I actually taught her how to do it when I was in Boy Scouts with her son. She now makes about $30,000 a year doing it.

I made a web site for her because I wanted to learn a little HTML and while it has brought in business, most is still word of mouth. The website is mostly a tool for potential customers to look at and gain a little insight about what they are buying.

If you find a money maker be sure to let me know (privately of course [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Here's her site

If you have something to sell, you should just setup shop on eBay. You will get alot more traffic than trying to setup your own website, and getting people to show up their.

If the selling takes off on eBay, then create a website and sell from both places.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I can tell you from personal experience that it is very hard to sell over the internet. The only way you stand a chance at selling over the internet is selling something no one else has. I had an internet business open for about three months and sold only one item. I was doing the Pay-Per-Click advertising and was also on Yahoo shopping. The only thing that comes to mind that sells very good that I have seen is just about anything antique. The only problem with antiques is you just cannnot get them anywhere to sell. If you want an ideal on what it cost to keep an internet business online open, it is about $100.00 a month, which is cheap. This includes a website stored on Yahoo servers, merchant account,phone,and basic materials like pens,paper,and print cartridges. What cost the most and is the biggest trouble is advertising. I was spending as much as .50 cents a click for people to visit my site at about $100.00 a month, and about all people come just come to visit. I was selling brand name binoculars, flashlights, handheld GPS,Two-Way radios, & knifes that I was having drop-shipped. I am glad I did not by a bunch of inventory for my business. If I was going to sell on the Intenet again, I would start out on EBAY and see what happens. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I have a client that sells over the internet. He sells ship memorabilia that is really hard to find. He finds the stuff at trade days (flea markets) and even some on ebay. Some of it is pretty expensive. This guy works real hard and nets maybe $50K a year. The problem is that every item is one of a kind and so they must be pretty pricey to make in money. Plus, he really has to know the value of a piece in order to be able to make a profit on it. He also sells some of the items on ebay.

The key is that if you are going to compete with the big boys you have to either have the lowest price, which you will find nearly impossible if you are selling what you can walk into Walmart and buy, or you have to be selling something unique - arts, crafts, etc.

Or, you can come up with a site that gets millions of hits because of its content, and then sell banner ads. This source of income has severely deteriorated over the past couple of years however.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

I forgot to mention. If the internet business doesn't work out you could always audition for Happy Days as the Fonz.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

And I thought that somewhere along the line you said you did not have a sense of humor. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]