Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids & missing gas

Kids & missing gas

Hi everyone,
    I have a pole barn that I keep a lot of "stuff" in including gas and two-cycle mix. It doesn't have a door on it (yet). Well, it turns out I have two cans of fuel missing from it and I have a feeling that it was the kids who ride their ATVs up and down the tracks nearby. My neighbor also mentioned having gas siphoned from his riding mower that he keeps in his garage all summer long.
    I was thinking of putting a motion detector alarm (battery, no power out there yet either) to scare them off and hopefully wake up my dogs and me to investigate, but I don't want to start any "wars" plus they could always get smart and wait until a train rolls by to enter the barn. Can't afford a 30 ft. by 10 ft. door right now because all my money is going into my business and that building. There were a lot of small items they could have taken, but didn't.
    Anyone have any similar experiences with this? I know there are a lot of variables, but would like to know how you dealt with it or if you just let it ride.

Thanks,
    Fred

Re: Kids & missing gas

I would get a water sprinkler that is activated by motion. they would be startled and that would wake you and/or your dogs up. I think this would alert them, that you know there is fuel missing. This would also show you are not out to harm anyone, just stop them from bothering your prperty.. GOOD LUCK !!!!! Jerry
    <font color="orange"> </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] THE WEAK WILL SURVIVE. <font color="orange"> </font color>

you could fill a gas can with water. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That would work.
    Paul Bradway

Fred,

Buy a light chain and run it through the handles of the gas cans and lock them to a pole. If that doesn't work, pour some water in one of the cans and leave it where they can get their mitts on it. One can of "bad gas" and a couple of crapped out carborators later they might think twice before stealing gas from you again.

Keeping them out of your gas won't necessarily keep them out of your barn but it is a start. At least locking the cans up will let them know that you are on to them.
    Chris

<font color="blue"> ... fill a gas can with water</font color>

Kero would be a better choice. The ATV won't run, but neither would the engine be damaged.

Pete

Whether kerosene or water is used I would make sure that at least 50% of the contents was gas so that it would still smell right.
    Chris

You could also tie some monofilament to one of the cans and the other end to bucket of water overhead so that it soaks the would-be thief. I'm sure the slapstick would be enjoyed even by the dryish bystanders. Just make sure the bucket can't fall on them.

Hmmm, didn't know they had motion detector sprinklers, wish the pole barn wasn't 150 ft. away from water. That's a lot of hose to buy.
    I like the water bucket idea, but the mono might tend to show up when using a flashlight. I know they had to have taken the cans at night and the one was tucked away pretty good so I'm thinking they used a flashlight. I think I might give this a try though.
    As far as doctoring up a can, that's the first thing I thought of, but that might bring on a war with them doctoring up my tractor's fuel tank. Locking also sounds good but, then I'd end up locking everything together (chainsaw, weedeater, push mower...). If they can't take what they want they might take something else. Sure could use a door on the place.
    Maybe some 100 lb. test, a plastic bucket and a few pulleys ran over to a wall and up into the rafters, sounds better all the time. This could be fun if I can rig it up without getting attacked from all the hornets [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the input.

Perhaps ask the alleged culprits if they have seen any strangers around as you are missing some items from the barn.

Egon

Thats a thought, egon. Maybe take it a step further and ask them if they would keep a watchful eye on the place and report any suspicious activity to you. The feeling of trust and responsibility you offer them may give them a change of heart about taking what is not theirs.
    Chris