Thread: Tin Roof

Tin Roof

We live in a 101 year old farm house that has "upgrades" done and would like to return it to a 101 year old farm house. Our plans include removal of all the siding material (vinyl over asphalt), install cedar lap board siding and stripping the shingles off the roof and replace them with tin. Is there a resource on the net that can give me info and cost estimates for doing this? What about the costs? Will a tin roof cost more than shingles? Alot more?

Thanks

Vince
    Jinma dealer and sausage maker in SE Michigan.

Re: Tin Roof

<font color="blue"> Will a tin roof cost more than shingles? </font color>
    Yes.
    <font color="blue"> Alot more?</font color>
    Yes.

We had a wide seam tin roof on our house that was put over a wood shake roof. We have a small roof, only 3,000 sq ft, and the difference between architectural shingles and a tin roof was enough that I opted for the shingles.

On the front and back of our house, we removed the aluminum siding, then the wooden siding, to reveal the original logs. We repaired them, rechinked, etc. Then we wanted to do the same to the sides. We had to hire a contractor to do this (the same one who did the roof) since I did not have the time to set up scaffolding, etc. (On the front and back of the house we had porches I could stand on.)

Our original desire was to return to the original logs. As a fall back, we thought we could revert to the wooden siding. We couldn't do either. What logs were there were in bad shape and wooden siding was full of nail holes from the aluminum siding. So, we opted for a tan vinyl siding that looks very nice with the logs.