Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much top soil?

Re: How much top soil?

Using compost instead of topsoil - does that mean I can take the horse manure I've been spreading in the fields and use it instead of buying topsoil?? I know very little about composting; what I think I know is that you try to keep certain items out and you have to turn it over a few times, and it's ready in a few months..

Is that true? We are excavating about 1280 square feet of ground.. we've got little to no topsoil elsewhere on the property to cover the exposed ground (which is a very hard clay). So up to now we were thinking of putting in crush run gravel to stabilize the ground and keep it from getting muddy; gravel only because topsoil was more expensive and there is extra work involved in getting topsoil in and preparing it for grass to grow.

But we've got plenty of manure.. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Pete

Sure, just mix the horse manure with the clay with a rototiller, and add the crusher run if you want but make sure its small 1/2" minus size. Rake the tilled area to remove the stones and then seed it - you should have nice grass in three weeks.

Best results would be with a seasoned manure mix though as the fresh stuff will be too hot and burn the grass. The local horse farms here sell compost, which is a mix of manure, sawdust, hay, and grass clippings that has aged for about 4-6 months at least. Just turn the pile every few weeks until you have a nice misture. Also add chopped leaves, grass clippings etc and you will have compost..

Carl

Forget eaven mixing it in. Thats what the worms will do. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just take that stall cleanings, let it sit in a pile for a few months, and heck if you got some, throw some of the soon to come fall leaves in, and you got REAL good compost. Just spred it down, and let nature take it from there.
    Paul Bradway

Carl,

Thanks for the compost source. The price is right!!! Still waiting on the soil test results [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Well, soil test are back. Need to add some lime & some fert. Not surprising. I left a message for Knowles to get some compost delivered. Off to Dodge Grain in Salem to get the seed, fert, lime & straw tonight.

I"ll keep you guys updated with my progress. Thanks again for all the help.
    Hazmat

Well, Good news / bad news

Good news: Dodge Grain Agway in Salem, NH was very helpful in supplying lime, fert, seed & straw. Ask for Tom, he was very knowledgeable.

Bad news: Knowles doesn't deliver to W. Newbury. He was nice enough to call back & tell me so. Alot of guys wouldn't have even bothered. I offered to pay a delivery charge, but he said it wouldn't be worth it. Well If I only wanted 1 yard I'd go pick it up myself, but I'm looking for 10 yards. Need a dump truck! Guess I'll have to hit the yellow pages.
    Hazmat

Hazmat,

Nations Rent has dump trucks by the day not sure the price though. Check out your local transfer station (dump) as they have compost for free usually to local residents. I was going to do this but the cost of the truck was offset by the low cost of the stuff from Knowles..

Good Luck

Carl

Carl,

I ordered 10yds of compost & 8 yards of loam (needed to raise one area) from a guy in Amesbury. $21 per yard no delivery charge. I didn't think of renting a truck. Likely that it would be more than the $100 "extra" I paid for the compost. If I am ever to do a larger project I will consider it.
    Hazmat