Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combination wood/oil furnace replacement

Re: Combination wood/oil furnace replacement

How would a side-buy-side unit be setup? In other words, I already have a oilburner, FHW. If I wanted to add a wood unit side-by-side, how would the two work together?

Hi EJB. Well, what happens is that the two sit right side by side and the wood boiler is set to heat the oil boiler, which in effect makes the oil boiler a storage tank for the wood system. Also keeps you in hot water if you have a coil in the oil system. The aquastat in the oil boiler is kept just a little lower than the wood system, that way, the burner never thinks it has to kick in. And your circulators are happy cause they see the water as plenty hot.

The neat part of this system, is if the wood goes out, then when the water temp comes down below the wood setting, the oil automatically kicks in. You also add an electric valve between the wood exit manifold and your main zone. What happens is that if the power goes off, the valve opens and allows the main zone to continue heating by gravity.

A more detailed explanation would require that I know more about your present setup. Some systems will need another expansion tank. Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend this as a do it your self project. With that said, it is not that hard to learn the basics, and you can usually get some pretty good advice from locals who've done or had it done.

Oh, before I forget, make sure you match the boilers. The wood can be a larger BTU than the oil, but not visa-versa. Most home applications call for between 80,000 and 120,000 BTU. Stay with the high side.

Hope this helps a little. But, I'll tell you what, you won't regret it if you go for it. Best of both worlds.

PS, word of cautionif the outside temp doesn't drop below freezing very often, then be prepared to clean your chimney often during the year. You can get a semi-automatic brush that stays in the chimney.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Thanks for the explanation...I kind of get it, but I agree, probably not a do-it-yourself for me right now. I'd need more detailed explanation to attempt it.

I am intriqued however...any idea (ballpark) what it would cost to add a wood boiler to my existing setup? I use about 1500 gallons of oil per year, and like I said in a previous post, I have more wood than I know what to do with...I'd love to cut that oil usage down to abbout 1/3 or less per year and save that $1000 per year (but don't want to add a system that will take me ten years to pay for itself...).

Thanks again...any links to other sites with more details about this?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was looking to replace my inside wood boiler with an outside system. Same sort of set up, just outside with buried, insulated pipes to the oil furnace. I really liked the models at central boiler- http://www.centralboiler.com/home.html
    I contacted a local rep and after all was said and done, I was looking at $6000 for a system for your avgage size ranch house.
    Still using the old set up indoors. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]