Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My house wil never be done

My house wil never be done

Just venting a bit here. We went to contract in June, and the builders still fighting to get the permets. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] We were going to be in by aug23rd. We did not make it. AUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! Well, I'm done. ANy one else go through this?
    Paul Bradway

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Re: My house wil never be done

Yep. 15 years ago when we biult our house, we hired a contractor. He sub-contracted the work out, and it seemed like months between the time the block was laid, and the frame was up, and the electric, and plumbing was done. Well you get the idea. It took forever. Hang in there.

Kent

Fortunately my G.O. was right on target > 3 months from start to finish. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    He is small uses mostly his own crew for the work. He subs the major escavation, concrete, HVAC, & drywall only. Everything else he does. The weather was also good. The only snag that I incurred was due to the septic guy that I contracted - go figure. The septic took us 2 weeks instead of 2 days... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I know the feeling. It has taken six months for the draftsman to draw up our plans and now that we finally have them we are waiting on estimates from the general contractors. We are waiting on estimates so we can get our loan approved so we can start building. Maybe the construction part will start some time this year???

It would be nice if we could get it built and closed on before interest rates go back up!
    Chris

You know, the only good thing about this is that we have been able to keep lowering the rate when its dropped. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Cost us a bit, but it will be worth it. Oh, and we are locked, so it will not go up.
    Paul Bradway

My wife and I have made the same observations. The dillying and dallying has worked in our favor so far (knock on wood.)It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the rates were to drop just a tad more between now and whenever but I will be thrilled if I can get it close to where it is now.
    Chris

My big problem is we sold our house. Now we are renting it from the new owners, but we don't realy like them. That and its a 2 famley, and god knows what will move in down stairs.
    Paul Bradway

I feel for you! You <font color="red">do</font color> have a problem! I thought I had it bad because I am living in a classic 1984 moblie home on a tiny lot, but at least I own both of them! You gotta be more anxious than me to get that new house built!
    Chris

You got that right. We are going [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Less than 90 days to build the house? Or was that a year and 90 days? Under 90 days is PDQ, but delays are delays none the less. I just signed a contract a few weeks back. Loan is heading towards closing on the 30th so we funded site prep and well outside of loan process (just less down payment). This way builder has a head start and is ready to really go when loan closes and permits are issued.

Still looking at up to 6 months from when he starts. And no.. I am not building a mansion. I had a house built back in Texas and someone did something almost everyday of the week on that house and it still took 4 months from start to finish.

Not saying you don't have a problem, just that under 90 days seems aggresive to me.

Good luck and hope it comes out well for you;

GS