Thread: Hey rancar, got any new barn pics?

Hey rancar, got any new barn pics?

Rancar,

Any new pics to get this forum started off properly? My lawn renovation photos should be back tomorrow, but I will be away for the weekend. I should be able to post some pics of the neighbor's barn then.
    Hazmat

Re: Hey rancar, got any new barn pics?

Hi Steve....

No, not yet...maybe next week. I'm still working on trying to finish up painting my barns before the cold weather comes in. Maybe, I'll start a thread on yellow jacket nests in barn walls. I had a huge nest I took a pic of and had an innovative way of removing the nest. Will talk more about this when I post.

Bob

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Bob, I can't wait to hear of your innovative way to remove wasps! I wanted to replace some wall boards in my hay loft, and there are over 12 wasp nests up there. I may have to wait for cold weather, unless you have some radical new wasp removal method!!![img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Hi Rich....

Actually, I find the wasps to be rather docile and friendly. I often run into them in the eaves of the buildings. While they fly around my head when I'm on the ladder painting, they rarely bother me. Those bumble bees also are a bit friendly. Now, if you need to replace those boards and those wasp nests are in the way then I'm afraid you're out of luck. I've found if you disturb their nest, they will attack...not as ferocious as those yellow jackets but they will sting. I'd suggest you wait for a cold morning sometime in the next couple of weeks and then knock the nests down.

Bob

<font color="red">Actually, I find the wasps to be rather docile and friendly </font color>

I have a HUGE nest in my shed, and I find them about the same. You pretty much have to poke them with a stick to get them to sting you. [you WOULD need a pretty small stick [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ]
    Paul Bradway

Here are a couple shots of the neighbor's barn

Hazmat

Pic 2

Notice leaning tower of cupola

Hazmat

I've found soapy water to be very effective on the tamer types of wasps. Get a garden sprayer and put a goody amount of soap and fill with water. Squirt. They fall right out of the sky. I wouldn't try it on visious ones though.

<font color="blue">I've found soapy water to be very effective on the tamer types of wasps. </font color>

Scott...The wasps are not the real problem here. I really don't mind them. I mind my business and they seem to stay out of the way and don't bother me. It's those yellow jackets that are the vicious critters. There's a big difference between these two species. I don't think I would dare spray yellow jackets with soapy water. After I've seen their MO, they would likely attack me in waves without mercy. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Bob