Thread: Finding help

Finding help

Do you guys have as much trouble finding workers as I do? I need one or 2 high school boys to help clear brush and do some digging. I thought $8 an hour cash was being pretty generous pay when the only skill requirement was that you be a warm body. They tell me they'd rather flip burgers for $5 an hour. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Finding help

It seems that a lot of kids today think real work is beneth them. Why? I don't know. Maby it parents not showing them any work ethic. Or just having eveything given to them.
    Paul Bradway

i've had the same problem myself....now me and most of my neighbors just go and hire some hispanic day laborers who appreciate the cash money....i've been working with them for a few yrs now and havent had any problems yet....they seem to be a little older and more careful with the tools/equipment they use....i usually pay between 8-10 bucks a hr depending on the job and how good they work...

Around here there're a couple of agencies where you can hire day laborers. My neighbor hired a couple of guys to help him clear 10 acres of trees and rocks. They were both older men and seemed to have a decent work ethic. One was looking for a permanent job and did this work to bring in $$$ while he looked. The other had a job and did this to augment his income.

Down here in Houston we have a lot of primarily immigrant neighborhoods that have 50 people standing on corners every morning looking for day labor.

Shoot I haven't been able to find any decent help for over six years. There is absolutely nobody left that wants to do manual labor. I have had probably 20 kids out over the years and none lasted longer than a day, even less if we were haying. My daughter who is 7 will work any kid in this area into the ground that I know.

I once had to move several yards of sand from point A to point B and had a hard time doing it myself because of a hip replacement so I hired a 16 year old to do it for me. He told me "NO PROBLUM". I had to show him how to ues a wheelbaro and a shovel, He lasted ONE HOUR, ended up doing the job myself a little at a time. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Next time you want some work done call the coaches at your local high school. These guys will know who can give you a good days work and who needs the money.

Some members of the wrestling team moved our household one time and did a great job. These kids were very careful and never complained on a day in the nineties. Everything arrived undamaged.