Thread: Termites

Termites

Has anyone had any experience using a self installed termite baiting system? I just purchased a log home that is 4 years old. The previous owner had the home treated for termites by a major pest contol company when it was built and had it retreated every year to maintain the contract. For us to convert to a new contract the price would be $2500. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've been told a bait system can be self installed for around $300.

Richard

Re: Termites

I have a place in East Texas where the termites are vicious! I don't know if it's that much different in your state but I would suggest that you shop around for another exterminator! There are many excellent local and regional services that will offer a contract based on square footage that would be a great deal more competitive and probably as effective. Good luck.
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

Richard,

There are several on line pest control companies that offer termite baits, sprays, etc for a fraction of what it costs to have it done. What I would suggest is getting the records from the existing service, since they typically offer a warranty when contracted and find out what they used etc..

I have reveiwed some of this on line and most log homes need to be treated regularly. Here is a url link to one of the sites that offer DIY pest managment. The Permethrin SFR when sprayed is safe for use per what I have read.

DIY pest control

It really bugs [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] me to see co's do what they are trying to do to you for $2500 to continue the contract, thats robbery I think.

LEt us know how you make out.

Carl

I was listening to our local home improvement man on the radio this morning ( Tom Tynan?) and he said those bait systems you can buy at HD And Lowe's are a rip. According to him, if the extermination was done right they killed the colony and you won't have any more problems. I doubt either method will work with Formosian termites if you have them in your area.