Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and con's of a garage under the house

Pro\'s and con\'s of a garage under the house

I am interested in seeing what people think about the pro's and con's of having your garage under your house. We have a building site that would lend itself to having the garage under the house with the garage door on the side of the house.
    Also wanted to be first to post on this forum!
    Joe

Re: Pro\'s and con\'s of a garage under the house

Your profile does not say where you live, but the biggest drawback up here in North Dakota is the winters. If you have a bathroom or any other water lines above the garage you had better make sure that it is well insulated or the lines could freeze if your garage is unheated. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

A big concern of mine would be asphyxiation if a car/truck was left idling in the basement.When I was a boy a family died in a town not to far from where I live,because a car was started and left idling in the basement garage.

Many smaller, and older, houses in the older parts of St. Louis have the garages under part the house.

My brother in law's former house, 1970's vintage, was what they call a split foyer and the master suite was above the garage. We never noticed any problems.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Scott's reply would be a major concern for me. Exspecially with all the new command start's around. There are quite a few cases of death due to carbon monoxide poising from vehicles left running in an attached garage.
    Our house has a basement drive in garage but it is outfitted as a work shop. I have always felt that a garage should be separate so there is also a place to store combustibles etc. We have a little shed out back for this purpose.
    Egon

Another advantage of having a garage seperate from the house is FIRE,if you loose your garage to a fire or vice versa,you will not loose everything you have.Finish the basement for some extra living space and put the garage elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The cons certainly seem to outweigh the pros on this. A detached garage looks like the best way to go.
    thanks again
    Joe

Joe

Over this side of the pond, garages under the house are the norm. I have lived all my life in houses with garages under, so have my parents and most people we know.

The gassing thing is not an issue, neither is fire as far as the authorities go.

Most places have internal stairs so we don't have to go outside to get into the car.

The garage makes an excellent party area and is cooler in summer due to being insulated from above.

Here is a pic of our place. Very typical.

Note that low-set places (obviously) don't have the garage under but it is normally included under the main roof at one end.

Cheers

From OZ

HI Jedens I also have a garage under have for about 15 years when i bought the house first things to purchase is a smoke detctor and a co2 detector mine is built too meet code with fire doors and firecode sheet rock and steeel studs.I love heat from the house when working in there
    and storage for fire wood for cold winter nights
    EDT
    PS I don't need to shovel a walk to it either

The Popularity of ranches with attached garages seems to be on the rise here in SE Mi. The garage is not directly under the house. Instead, a bonus room is built over the garage with access from inside the house. This makes for more floor space and a pretty cool place to hang out.