Thread: Pipe Fence

Pipe Fence

Have new four rail pipe fence across the front of our property. It is raw never painted steel and does not have much rust on it. My question is what would be best to prep it with and what would be the best white paint to use on it?
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

Re: Pipe Fence

If the pipe is new, then you need to get the mill film (oils) off of it before you paint it. I wiped mine down with degreaser and used a wire wheel in an angle grinder to knock scale off a places and dress the welds.

I used Rustoleum Industrial, rusty metal red oxide primer (even though the metal wasn't rusty). I then followed it with two coats of Rustoleum Industrial topcoat in Almond color. It looks real nice. The easiest way to paint a pipe fence is with a paint mitt. Make sure you use some duct tape to get the loose threads off the mitt before you use it. Otherwise your fence will look hairier then a french girls leg.

Thats how I would do it. I think the only thing I would add would be to really pay attention to the joints/welds. Really work those with the wire wheel and I would spray my primer there. Perhaps the mitts work well.....I have never used one.

Make sure you give it plenty of time to dry between coats and it cant hurt to give the welds an extra coat.

Mark

Anyone heard of "ospho"? Guess you wipe down the fence with it and it neautralizes the rust then you paint with the paint of your choice.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

I haven't heard of it. The name makes me think it might be similar to one of the products used for bluing steel. I think there's a product called "Oxphorblue" or something that sounds like that, that's used for bluing gun parts.

Rustoleum company has some crackly finish paint (almost smooth not too crackly) that is designed to go on lightly rusted metal. It chemically converts the rust and makes a durable shiny finish, allthough not smooth like a car. It comes in bulk as well as spray cans. I ued it on steel tubing in the weather and am very satisfied. It still looks like new and not a single spot of rust came through or formed.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"