Thread: Terracing

Terracing

I am planning on terracing the bottom of a path that leads to the lakefront. There is about a 5 to 6 ft. drop over a length of about 20 to 25 feet (20-25% grade?). The soil is sugar sand. My plan is to use railroad ties, anchored with rebar pounded down about 2 ft. into the soil through three holes in each tie. We want to taper out starting with about a 5 ft. tie ending at 8 ft. at the bottom. Level off, leaving about 1 inch for flagstone paving. the area is well-drained and since ea. tie is about 8" high, I don't see the need for deadman bracing. The only real problem I foresee is tree and brush roots, since the area was previously heavily wooded. Too steep to get my old 8N down there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Terracing

The only thing I would suggest is to use filter fabric under everything to help keep the sands from shifting. Would love to see pictures of the project. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Terracing

From what I can calculate you will need about 30 ties and by cutting them off 5' you will have some stubs left over. You could use these as deadmen on the ends by notching them if you want.

I built a similar walk way to the lake a few years ago but it was steeper so I curved it down the hill. Also since the tie step area is not quiet enough I put bricks behind the ties for about a 12" step, then the next tie would use 2" or so of the brick as a base. To create another effect on a curved section just add brick and angle the ties according to your preference.

I am sure when you are done it will look great what ever path you take [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Carl