Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden boats

Wooden boats

I don't know if this fits under crafts or not, but I will give it a try.

Any one out there into building wooden boats? I have built one a few years ago, and as soon as I get my house done, I plan to build a few more. For now I am thinking of a wood strip canoe, or a small sail boat.
    Paul Bradway

Re: Wooden boats

Heres a picture of the one I made. Its bad, but The only one I have.... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

There is a very nice magazine entitled Wooden Boat for builders and other enthusiasts of wooden watercraft. There are also several books, manuals, plans, and even kits for building wooden canoes, kayaks, etc. I've never built one, but I do own an Old Town rib and plank wooden canoe.

I have this dream of building a dory. The raw timber is available on our land. There is need for some inspiration that will result in action. Now if I only knew how to loft.
    Egon

<font color="red">There is a very nice magazine entitled Wooden Boat for builders and other enthusiasts of wooden watercraft </font color>

Oh yes, I get it. It is THE best magazine out there on ANY subject IMHO. A real good mix of hands on, and artsy coffie table pictures. If any one eaven has a passing intrest in wooden boats, I would recomend picking up a copy. You will not be sorry.
    Paul Bradway

<font color="red"> I have this dream of building a dory. The raw timber is available on our land. There is need for some inspiration that will result in action. Now if I only knew how to loft.
    Egon

</font color>

One thing I can recomend? Just do it! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Don't be afread of lofting, its not that bad. All you are doing is drowing out a pattern of the boats lines, and frames. Sounds wourse than it is. How about starting small, and easy? There is a desiner out there that makes easy to build boats that ANY ONE can build. His name is Philip Boulger. Heres a link to somewere to get his plans.
    Instant boats
    Paul Bradway

Thanks Paul:
    I do have his and many other sites bookmarked. I hope to constuct a 23/25 ft StPiere type of sailing dory using strip planking and fiberglass. Our local library has " the Dory Book " in which the lofting information for a 25 ft. is given. It's just a matter of money,priorities and money.
    I also have two brother inlaws who are well versed in boats. In fact the one spent a year Banks Fishing of the Columbia. This was the year before she went down. My father in law had spent 20 years banks fishing off the Columbia. He too quit the year before she went down.
    Egon

[red]matter of money,priorities and money.[/red]

My problem is time, and a place to work. I have been thinking of nocking out a few strip canoes and selling them. I don't know how much I can get for one, but I hope enugh to build anouther, plus some left over cash.

I am out where my boat is this week, and I will try to get some better pictures this week. Shes getting a little rough, but has over 5 years of work under her hull.
    Paul Bradway

I got to get some pictures today. First nice day of the week.
    Paul Bradway

anouther......
    Paul Bradway