Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden boats

Re: Wooden boats

Oh, great!

I just got the fever down to a manageable level, and someone goes and mentions Instant Boats!

This is the one I want to build. Here's a photo I found of one. Here's a nice center console model.

The shed, to be built next year, will be sized appropriately for construction.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Im thinking of this one. catboat , or the cosine wherry from Flounder bay lumber. That one I already have plans for. Just need the time.
    Paul Bradway

Paul, Egon, and everyone, Just when I thought the saline content of my blood stream was about down to normal you guys go talking about sailboats and boat building and... I have personal experience and know that a boat is a wood (optional fiberglass) hole in the water into which you pour money but still I can't stop thinking aboiut it. But then, I'n not of sound mind.. I know from experience that sailing is the art of slowly going nowhere at great expense while making your passengers violently ill. But GEE if I can only get caught up a bit I do have space in thh shop to build a boat! My previous wood boat experience taught me about products like "Git Rot" and a plethora of coatings, paints, varnishes, preservatives (you can't buy the good copper based stuff anymore). Still, I'd rather have a full spinaker than a full dance card any time.

I think the "West" system of epoxy saturated strip built monocoque construction is probably the strongest constructiion method for its weight that is available for the regular person. Carbon/graphite/Kevlar composites, not withstanding.

If I had the time I would be building a sailing hydrafoil, likely with the West epoxy satuaration method.

If anyone is interested in buying a home made boat cheap, go to Hawaii and look at the selection of home built ferro-cement monstrosities at Nahwiliwili in Kawai or Alai Wai harbour near Waikiki. Other building methods are also available. Seems that not all the dreamers who built their own boats to sail around the world or whatever were sailors. (Joshua Slocum was not your average guy) Anyway by the time these neophytes get to Hawaii many of them have had enough and their boats are for SALE not SAIL.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:
    The blue water dreams are past but it would be nice to explore the coastlines of Nova Scotia and maybe go catch the odd fish.
    The building of a boat will probably never happen for me although our house sits about a hundred yards from a river that is tidal and can accomodate deep draft vessels.
    Books on the West system have been read. Epoxy would be used if building. For me strip plank would seem the easiest as my skills may not equal that of competent boatbuilders.
    There is also the navigation factor of which I know little and staying under the contrails of overflying jets may not be the most advisable system inshore.
    "home built ferro-cement monstrosities"
    Perhaps that is why they are for sale. My understanding is they are very labour intensive to build and require considerable skill to do a proper job.

Well, maybe I'd better start picking some trees next time I go to the farm.

Egon

<font color="red"> but it would be nice to explore the coastlines of Nova Scotia and maybe go catch the odd fish.
    </font color>

I have learned the some of the most fun is poking along the shore in a small boat. I think you lose something on the big boats, on the big water.
    Paul Bradway