Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about a Hunting/Fishing Topic?

Re: What about a Hunting/Fishing Topic?

Kilt-

The biggest comment is the implication that hunters (throwing out the whole fishing part of the discussion) are NOT interested in conservation, wildlife management practices, preservation (e.g. habitat or species), etc.

Actually when you get down to it, these topics are often VERY important to the hunting community, and, I'd argue that hunters often take more physical action (not just lip-service) to enhance/protect wildlife populations and their environment. So, to "segregate" the hunting and conservation "topics" in to separate areas really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. (For someone who wants to learn about wildlife behavior, hunters are an excellent resource. )

Another point, while most hunters just want to be "left alone" to pursue their interests, the anti-hunting folks (such as PETA) are interested in disruption, whether it be in the field or it be in a forum, so I doubt these "segregated areas" would remain "segregated" for long. I understand where you are coming from, but I personally think that a “balanced approach” via an “animal rights” type forum is (a) not applicable to rural lifestyle, (b) unnecessary based on the subject matter (e.g. conservation) you are proposing, and (c) could potentially add to the whole “confrontational” aspect instead of helping keep it at bay (e.g. "their" area vs. "our" area - not a good way to build a community.)

Personally I could "see" adding a "Hunting, Fishing & Wildlife Management" forum and a "Firearms & Shooting Sports" forum (although I suspect the "Hobbies" forum could be used for the "Shooting/Firearms" topics.)

BTW, I know that your posts weren’t meant to offend the hunting folks out there, so please take my reply in the same spirit. Just trying to point out that (a) hunters are generally good folks who are educated/care about the environment/wildlife a lot more than they are given credit for, and (b) they don’t try to kill everything they see as is often stereotyped.

Just my $.02 [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, I always consider the 2 to go hand in hand also.

Going to PA this year deer hunting. In the county where we'll be, after a certain date if they have extra licenses you can buy as many as you want. I wonder what that area would look like without hunting.

Thanks for the kind words. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I wonder what that area would look like without hunting. </font color>

Without it I suspect you'd have overpopulation resulting in a number of problems. With deer, you'd have everything from nuisance issues (such as them eating shrubbery &amp; stuff close to homes, etc.) to smaller size and starvation due to lack of food sources to increased disease rates. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

To me at least, it sure doesn't seem very compassionate to let a situation exist where animals are sentenced to death by starvation. 'Course, a lot of the AR types neglect to think about the ramifications of their stance...

Ooops! Looks like I'm "Thread-Jacking" a bit... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Back on subject: Vote <font color="red"> YES! </font color> on Proposition 1 - addition of a hunting/fishing/conservation forum! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Big Q for all thinkers from TBN that are over here---How can I put a gun rack on my tractor???? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I use a saddle scabbard strapped to the fender.. easy to change between horse, tractor, and lawnmower. I like to be prepared for moccasin encounters.

I'm not a hunter, but let me throw in my two cents.

Seems that hunting and fishing are such vast topics that they would be better served by huntingbynet or fishingbynet. Or maybe outdoorsmanbynet. You get the picture. I think they could stand alone from Countrybynet &amp; increase traffic for Muhammad &amp; company and the 'bynet endeavor.

They might be in the works already, who knows.
    Hazmat

Excellent point Hazmat.
    Your $.02 is probably worth A LOT more than that, don't you think, Muhammad? Maybe he'll send you royalties... ROF- [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] !
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

<font color="red"> I like to be prepared for moccasin encounters. </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Remind me to leave my slippers home if I ever visit.

This thread, and this forum, is starting to "feel" like a surrogate for all of us "Off Topic" junkies. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Would we really want to go there?
    Bayrat

Be careful..........don't post any jokes about football player exams to get in college..........it will get yanked quicker than you can say...........I flunked the exam......... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]