Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: training aids

Re: training aids

<font color="blue">No need to get defensive. </font color>

Sorry I came off as sounding defensive, Richard. I was just trying to explain, but I get long-winded at times [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Both my Dad and Father-in-law were physicians, so I have been exposed to the standards you refer to.

I think the difference in perspective has something to do with that physicians are being trained as healers, and a definite respect for the human body is being instilled there, sort of in line with the Hippocratic oath. Therefore, medical schools make a big deal about the "sanctity" of the cadaver.

This is not to say that law enforcement officers do not respect the cadaver as well, but that their primary concern is to treat the remains as evidence, with all of the court-imposed rules that go along with that, such as chain of custody, etc.

Coming from a medical training background as you do, I can appreciate how you would be surprised about other uses for cadavers.

I did not really do the Body Farm justice, and it's in Knoxville, not Chattanooga. Here is a really good article from CNN about it.

WOW, Interesting post! Hope it doesn't offend the squeamish. Those dogs and their human handlers do a terrific job for us. I am amazed at the ability some of the dogs demonstrate. I've heard that catfish are even more sensitive but of course they pose a tougher "working conditions" challenge than dogs. Some of the stuff the dogs are smelling has such romanitic names (NOT!) To name just a couple of the chemical compounds associated with decaying flesh, there is cadaverine and putricene (may not be spelled perfectly I haven't been around any of that lab work for decades).

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> chemical compounds associated with decaying flesh, there is cadaverine and putricene </font color>

Right. I have heard of, seen, and smelled both of these. To the non-discriminating human nose, it's just like the real thing. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] But, to a discriminating canine nose (I am told), it is a different scent entirely. Which is why they are not generally used for training aids. It is, in effect, teaching the dog to indicate on a different scent.

I recently met a woman at a party who trains water-retrieving dogs. She keeps dead baby ducks in her freezer for training aids. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]