Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lime Application

Lime Application

I had my soil tested. The results were that I have lime applied twice, 50lbs per 1000 sq ft (or 1 ton / per acre) .... on two separate occasions at least a month apart. I want to have 3 acres done, so it would come to 3 tons each application. I actually have 3 more acres of grass (which tested the same), but they are located further from the house, so I was gonna let them be.

I have started calling vendors, but the first two have told me that they really only do 10 to 15 ton loads. Even if I was to have my entire property done, I would still only use half of what they need to deliver.

If I was to skip the waiting between applications, tho, and have them do the full 100 lbs per 1000 all at once, I would be able to use a truckload.

It isn't about the money for me, as going to the store, buying 50 lb bags of lime, and renting a spreader ... would certainly cost alot more. Not to mention the time and hassle involved.

My question is about the chemistry. What would be the impact of having one 100 lb application rather than two 50 lb applications?

Also, is this a good time of year (Northern Virginia) for me to have this done?

Re: Lime Application

<font color="blue">I had my soil tested</font color>

My daddy told me once that he had his own method for testing soil pH. He said to pick up a clod of dirt and drop it. If it hits the ground then you need to add lime! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Didn't have any advice on how much or how often to apply it though.
    Chris

Are there any farmers near you? If you are, you might be able to have the lime service truck stop by your place when they lime the farmer's field. That's how I got my 3 acre pasture limed.

Hayseed, I could have saved myself a few sou if I had had the benefit of your daddy's wisdom. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mike, I don't really know the farmers near here, but I know a few of my neighbors who might be interested. Thanks for introducing the concept.

I'm not an expert on lime application, but if I remember my basic chemistry lime is a weak alkaline. Putting a weak alkaline into solution results in a mildly basic solution of a specific ph that will not exceed a fixed value no matter how much you add. This would suggest that putting too much lime on would cause no damage, but it may keep your soil more alkaline for a longer period of time than the recommended application. That is, it may take longer to dissipate. I would guess that rainfall has a lot to do with how quickly the lime dissipates. But like I said I'm no expert.

Darube, We had 130 tons spread last year. This was at a rate of 3 tons to the acre. The lime guy said the usual in this area was 4 to the acre. Any way it worked great for us applying all at once. This was the last of sept. in east Ky. so I would say it would be a great time for you also. I guess it had the winter to melt.

Patrick

Guys,

Is that lime pellets or powder?

Are you tilling it in or just spreading on the sod and letting it soak in over time?

Fred

Phred it was crushed, not the powder, straight from the quarry. Hauled and spread I think it was about $10 a ton. This was short grazed sod. This was also in the fall without any tilling, in some fields with little to no clover. Spring came and the clover was knee high and thick. Boy was I was worried about bloat, so I eased the cows into it slowly.

Patrick

Where in east Ky? I'm in Ashland.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

theboman, I'm between West Liberty and Salyersville. West of Paintsville.

Patrick