Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lime Application

Re: Lime Application

I am new to this site what does lime application do for the soil. I have a couple of acres of mini farm in south east Texas is this necessary for out here. I have heard lime aplied to the ground but it is for building roads and such it stabilizes the ground.
    Please reply I love to learn new things about being a gentleman farmer.

Administrator

banjoppd,

Lime is applied to soil to reduce acidity, which assists better plant growth and yield. This is especially true of corn and soybeans, for which lime is often applied, depending on local soil conditions.

The difference between a soil pH of 5.2 (more acidic) and 6.0 (less acidic, more alkaline), is often the difference between bare brown soil and lush growth.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

The most important reason for applying lime is for alfalfa. You can't grow alfalfa without having the ph right. Grass will do fine without lime. Some crops are also ph dependent. It all depends on what you are wanting to do. Also some crops will make the ph of the soil acidic or basic as well. That's one of the reasons for rotating crops by farmers.

Howdy neighbor! I hope you're a bluegrass fan a listen to me on the radio! Check my website for info http://www.theboman.com

I've tilled my garden under and hope to have the lime down and wheat sewed tonight/tomorrow.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

My soil test results showed a need for lime and recommended 2 tons per acre. No mention was made of spreading this over more than 1 application, so I didn't. I understand from talking to "the boys" that this is the usual practice in Tennessee.

Banjoppd, I have a small farm in Quitman, TX and the soil here is very sandy. It is a known fact around here that the soil is very acidy and needs lime. My hay meadow (Coastal Bermuda) was recently limed and it is unbelieveable how much different it makes both in growth and in color. The best advice is to contact the County Agent in your county and he will give you a soil testing kit, you will send it to College Station along with $10 and they will give you the info you seek. The county agent will help with the amounts, etc. Good Luck
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28