Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Has anyone built their own home?

Re: Has anyone built their own home?

Bird, I saw one about like that but they cut a narrow deep grove in each mating face lengthwise down the logs and put in a spline to lock the grooves together. This made an air and water tight joint and made up for any inconsistancies there might be or might develop over time in the mating surface fit of the logs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird,

These were also square on 3 sides and we used fiberglass insulation between each log. There were no threaded bolts, just 12" spikes every 3 or 4' and in every corner overlap. The wood was E TX pine and that was my only regret(the guy that bought the house later got termites). I am going to use eastern red cedar this time mainly because i have enough trees on my place to build 2 houses [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] .

RD

Yes, I built my own 8 yrs ago. I designed it myself also.
    It's 2400 sf, cape cod style. I contracted out big stuff like foundation, drywall and septic, but did the majority of the work myself like framing, electrical, plumbing, painting, finish carpentry, roofing. Did it in 9 months, while working full time. Most of it was done after dark (framed in the winter) under portable lights. I had one good friend who came out many weekends to help.
    Have since added a 2 car garage with rooms over it. This has taken 3 yrs...The bank isn't pushing me on this.
    Would I do it again, yes, but probably have to find a new wife.. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] If I do it again, it will be a simple square rancher with roof trusses.

Thank you so much form mentioning the 3 years. MISERY LOVES COMPANY. We are moved in now for about 6 months but aren't done and have been at it going on 4 years. (South Central Oklahoma Farmhouse thread)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"