Thread: Porter Cable Belt Sander

Porter Cable Belt Sander

I have a 15 year old Porter Cable 4"x24" belt sander that just recently stopped working. Does any one have any idea what may be wrong with it. Motor burned out?? Short?? Any ideas?? Thanks!

Regards,
    Bob Ancar
    Cambridge, NY

Re: Porter Cable Belt Sander

Check the switch. It's usually the first part to fail.

If it's not the switch, I'd check the brushes next.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks Andy and Gary......Switches and brushes will be the first things I'll get checked out. I hope it's one of these as this is a real nice sander I'd hate to dispose of due to a burned out motor....and I don't feel like spending a couple hundred more for a replacement.

Bob

It's probably not a short if it just stopped working. As said, check the switch, brushes, and wiring for obvious damage. Does it move at all? If it's a capacitor start motor, it may be the starting cap. Even if the motor is totally shot, you should be able to get a replacement pretty easily.
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

Gomez....

<font color="blue"> Does it move at all? </font color>

No....it just stopped cold. It was running great one minute and the next time I tried to use it....zippo, nada, kapput. Thanks for the suggestions for repair.

Bob

Could be a flat spot on the armature. Rotate the belt some so the armature moves and try it then. If still nothing I bet the switch is gone.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Randy...

<font color="blue">Rotate the belt some so the armature moves and try it then.</font color>

I did as you suggested. I manually rotated the belt a bit and guess what? IT WORKS!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate this word of advice as it saved me a few bucks. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bob

That tells you that you have a flat or dirty spot on your armature. Remove your armature and clean it with some emery cloth, install new brushes and see what happens. If it gets to the same spot and stops again, then the windings have an open in them. You'll have to replace the armature. New armatures are not that expensive.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bob - what's up with your sander? I was searching CBN on sanders, as I am considering a belt sander to help keep my poor little Porter Cable model 333 5" random orbital alive (recently used it with 60 grit to sand a 10'x12' load of deck boards on both sides).

I found this model 362 on toolking.com. It's reconditioned, and not a variable speed model, but neither is your old one, I think. I'm thinking the VS function is something I want for all my sanders - I know I prefer it with my drills. Your opinion on VS sanders?