Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Tile or Linoleum

Ceramic Tile or Linoleum

Hi everyone;
    I am debating on installing ceramic tile for my solarium. I live in New Engalnd. The room measures approx. 50 x 10; currently a cement floor and a southern exposure. I'm looking for pros & cons about ceramic tile or going an easier route with the linoleum. I have done a smaller room (12 x 12) in ceramic tile before and swore that I would never do it again. I want to save some $$$, so, I'll be doing the work myself. Any tips/help is appreciated.

Re: Ceramic Tile or Linoleum

I have put down small areas of each and ceramic tile is a lot easier to do! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tile
    pro:
    once it's there, it's there
    easier to keep straight when laying
    very pretty (subjective)
    con:
    more expensive than vinyl (true linoleum isn't commonly available anymore)
    colder on bare feet
    harder to patch
    light colored grout is hard to keep clean

vinyl:
    pro:
    faster and cheaper
    easy to clean
    con:
    harder to lay for novice (gotta get it straight and fitted)
    not as durable
    must apply baseboard trim to prevent curling over time
    glue smells bad [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've done both, and tile is easier to lay if more tedious

Hi Ian,

Go for the tile. Over the concrete it would be a better choice. Not cheaper but better.

Rent a wet saw and go to it.

Good luck,

Tim

Go for the ceramic tile. I just layed about 750 sq ft. of tile plus ceramic baseboard. If you can, use the larger tiles (if the room can handle it). the job goes much quicker. A wet saw is definitely needed. Check out the price of purchasing vs. renting. I picked up a saw for $150.00 with decent HP. Saves a lot of time and energy. If you can, go with a darker grout. You will not see the dirt as readily as a lighter grout. As for cost, ceramic is more costly, as you know, but in the long run, you will need to replace the linoleum sooner than the ceramic. So long term, costs are probably about the same.

I was just in a tile store - looking for linoleum - but the tile was priced the same! -- I'm taking another look at tile ... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

After comparing the various flooring at the local stores, my wife and I decided on natural slate. At $2.34 per sq/ft its not cheap, but, I want to do it right. We have over 400 sf that we will be covering. For kicks...we asked a few of the places how much for install. The cheapest was $2300.00 NOT including the material. As I noted in my original post, I once tiled a smaller room and hated the grouting portion of the project. With my selection of slate I was told that I would not need to grout (just use extra mortar when placing the slate so the excess pushed up aroung it; this is due to the fact that the slate is uneven and traditional grouting methods would not work. I know I could use a pastry type bag to squirt the grout in, but, if I can avoid this grouting step I would be a happy guy [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) So, my next question is: What is the purpose of grout?

Thanks again for everyone's input...

Purpose of grout? Never thought about it. All I know is you are supposed to grout with ceramic. My thought is to provide more stability to the tile, hold it in place. Also, for aesthetics (that is why grout comes in different colors) If you look at the ingredients in grout, there is concrete. So, the mortar you use for slate should do the job between the joints. I also heard you don't need to grout with slate. Boy, bet it is going to look fantastic when the job is complete.

Purpose of grout?

- Fill the voids between the material instead of dirt/debris
    - keep the water/moisture on top of the floor not under it
    - keep the tiles in position
    - fill any voids under/around the tiles to prevent cracking

As to using the mortar mix instead of grout this must be done while laying the slate so makes for a longer process (slower) to place the slate, fill the gaps, clean up around the slate then move on to the next piece.

You will probably need to do a mild acid wash on the slate once dry to remove the excess mortar from the surface as well put a sealer over the entire area when done.

Carl

Common sense reasons for grout. Hey, what is the best sealer for grout? I picked up some sealer from TileLab(Home Depot), but unsure if it is a good quality product. I compared it to others, and it seems okay. But there are other products that are more costly. Are they better?