Thread: West Nile Virus and Horses

West Nile Virus and Horses

Don't forget to get your horses innoculated against the West Nile Virus when you give them their shots. It can be fatal in horses, too. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: West Nile Virus and Horses

Don't bother this year. It takes 5-8 weeks to build immunity and by that time it will be winter. Next spring it would be smart to do.

10-4 on the time it takes to build immunity. We did our horses a while ago. I was thinking of our webmates who live where they get to enjoy mosquitos all year round. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Amen to that! Amish community near me (southwest Indiana) has had a hard time due to not vaccinating (150+ horses) as of 2 weeks ago.

Paul

150 cases of west nile?

Cowboydoc:

Yes, as of Labor Day weekend, reports were that approx. 150 horses had been infected within the Davies Co. area. However, I am guessing that the local media actually meant 150 possibles cases. When I read your question it made me think to verify what I had "heard". According to the Indiana State Board of Health, Daviess County's verified infections are:

Daviess County (31)
    two probable human cases,
    20 horses,
    four mosquito groups, and
    five dead blue jays.

This is a small Amish community here, other larger ones in north part of state report higher numbers ranging from 23 in one county to 75 in another.

Paul

West Nile, Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Fever, Snakes!.. c'mon Mr. Frost!!

I had my horses vaccinated this spring, it cost $20 per shot and it takes 2 shots 3 weeks apart (?). I'm glad I did it and did it right. I live close to Memphis and there are quite a few cases in the area. I know of two horses that got it even though they were vaccinated. It seems that they didn't do the second shot. The effectiveness of any vaccine is less than 100%, the figures I've seen on west nile runs for 50 to 70% effective.

Larry
    Larry