Thread: Squirels

Squirels

Whats the best way to get rid of a squirel that is breaking off green pecans and chewing on the ends on the ground?

I only have 4 pecan trees and I have other plans for the nuts!

I could shoot him with a 20 guage shotgun but I think there is a season and I don't have a license.

Re: Squirels

I have a bird feeder on a #9 wire hung between corner of the house and a big oak tree in the back yard. This wire is between 30 and 40 feet long. I have squirels and coons walk the line from the tree to the feeder. I have plinked them with a air rifle, but they just keep coming back. Oh also I have deer that eat out of the feeder also.

Use a live trap and then release them somewhere else. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jim,

I would try some kind of net around the tree or something that will keep the squirell from getting up onto the tree similar to what you see on bird feeders.

It is tough (the wife and I enjoy or squirells) but then again we don't have any nut trees and we actually put out peanuts for them. Trapping and releasing within your own area may be allowed, but shooting them out of season may be illegal too. Bottom line you may cause more damage to the tree, wildlife, your neighbors (if you have any) with the 20 gauge shotgun.

Good luck.

Thanks MDNY,
    I have been trying several non-lethal ideas, and I guess the activity has scared the squirrel away, I haven't seen it lately.
    If it shows up. I have the net materal on hand.
    JimC [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Not sure how to stop a squirrel with a net but rat collars like they use on dock lines to stop rats from geting on/off ships work well. Bats wouldn't be stopped but don't climb trees to eat pecans.
    have more pecan trees than I am interested in harvesting and way fewer squirels than I prefer, so I don't fuss with the squirels as regards the pecans. I do not like their habits as regards pear tasting/testing. They take a small bite and toss the pear on the ground. They then take a a small bite out of another pear and toss it on the ground and so forth, looking, I suppose, for the perfect pear but ruining much more than they eat. I wouldn't really mind if they ate bushels if they'd eat the darned things and not just ruin them.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

In most states you won't need a license to shoot wildgame that damages your crop/property. Call your local wildlife officials/game warden and they can direct you on what you can and cannot do, and they also may have live traps.
    If you shoot the animals they are mighty tasty.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor