Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer stand too close to house

Deer stand too close to house

Question:

I live in Florida. My property borders a 363,000 acre cattle ranch on the north side, and a 25,000 acre preserve to the east. The corner of my property is a super highway for deer, pigs, wild turkeys, and all other animals crossing between the preserve and the ranch. The ranch allows a few people to hunt the property, and I occassionaly see hunters. No big deal...

Today, I was standing in my 4 year old's bedroom looking north out her window and spotted a tree stand about 600 feet away from my home. Now I am upset. This is only 250 feet from my property line.

Question: Does anyone know what the law states about distance between a tree stand and a residence?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Deer stand too close to house

I sometimes have idiots walking the orchard behind my house hunting rabbits. They think nothing of firing shot gun rounds 100 ft from my house. I've even had hunters fire into the corn field to the side of my house less than 50ft from my bedroom window.

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you approach a couple jerks with guns about a complaint?

Currently, I am trying to contact the ranch manager for resolution. Even if the law is not in my favor, the manager would have final say.

Joe

Joe,

Try the Florida Wildlife site. They have a PDF file of a hunter's handbook that may provide the info.

http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/hunting/

Rhonda

Jerry, here is a link to Michigan's stance on your situation. Michigan Safety Zones

I found thison the DNR site as well "Please contact the Michigan Department of Natural Resources; Report All Poaching (RAP) line at 800-292-7800. They will take down the complaint information and give it to your local Conservation Officer." If can't get through to the landowner for whatever reason, I would go this route.

NOt sure about the laws in Florida, but to be honest,m the 250 ft from your property ;line is probably a non-issue. States that do have laws usually regulate the distance from the nearest house, not the nearest property line. IMO, 600 feet is probably within the law, but should be easy enough to find out from the local authorities.

Good luck.

Joe,

We took a 12 ga. slug through our sliding french doors two seasons ago here in Massachusetts. Slug went through the meeting jamb, passed through the dining room, over my sons head ( sitting on floor in living room ), struck the tv cabinet and ricochet'd into the wall.

We found the shooter and he had to make restitution to the tune of over $ 4000. If we weren't so considerate, he would of been in a world of trouble. The point of discharge was about 650 feet from the house. State law says 500 is the minimum.

Too close is too close. If the ranch owner doesn't help, you should avoid the temptation to take matters into your own hands. Get the wildlife cops to assist.

Good luck and stay low !!! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Here's some input from a hunter.

200 feet, 600 feet, 1000 feet - it doesn't matter, unless your talking about noise. Rifles are dangerous up to a mile. The only thing that will keep you safe is if the hunter has enough common sense (or will power) to refrain from firing when what's behind the target is unknown.

At least you can see this stand. Would you feel more comfortable if you couldn't?

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

Geezuz, the 12 Ga thru the wall is a spooky reminder of a rented townhouse we were living at. Almost the same happened to us. Some yahoo and his buddy were drinking and firing at a paper plate hung on a tree. The 12 ga. slug went thru the outside wall siding, into the bedroom, blew apart a highback wicker chair, then a bottle of hand lotion on the dresser, thru another wall into the second bedroom and finally stuck in the second bedrooms back wall. Pretty much went thru the whole house! Now this a**holes shot went across a public road, then an open field, well over 600 feet before hiting the building. I was looking over the mess with the cops and I thought, s**t, I sit in that chair in the mornings putting my boots on, all I had was visions of the Zabruder film of the Kennedy assination. The bad part was the bozo shooter wasn't liable for anything because the township didn't restrict hunting in the area, and he was more than 500 feet from the building. So the only thing the cops could do was a light fine, I think $300, for discharging over the roadway. Some people are just idiots. Be thankful nobody was hit or hurt.

Well, they could be bow hunting. Or they could be hunting with their back to your home. If they are responsible hunters, it's a good thing they can see your home, so they won't shoot toward it.

The fact is that it sounds like you live in a rural setting (a very wonderful situation from the way you describe it), and hunting is a part of rural life. A deer stand 250 feet from your property line is . . . on your neighbor's property. A friendly, non-confrontational discussion with the ranch manager should provide you with some piece of mind. If not, then get worried.

I live in a rural situation where everyone has 5-25 acre wooded tracts. My neighbors (and myself) shoot all the time and I am not concerned. They know where my house is and I know where theirs is. Incidentally, two of my neighbors are police officers.

One last thing. Most hunters aren't the Elmer Fudds many believe. If one can afford the cost of hunting in such a great place, then he/she is likely experienced.
    Fishman