Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garbage Can Cooking???

Garbage Can Cooking???

Has anyone heard of cooking in a garbage can? My wife's uncle talks about others doing it years ago and he cant remember the details. They would get a new garbage can and put in layers of meat & vegetables and then bury it in the ground with coals under it or something like that. Can anyone give me info about it? I would love to throw a party with this as the food. I wonder about using a galvanized trash can though, but cant think of what else to use.

Re: Garbage Can Cooking???

Here's a recipe for cooking a turkey in a garbage can. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Eagle Ridge

I think I'd be afraid of using a galvanized trash can for fear of the galvanized coating flaking off from the intense heat. What you can use is what I've used many many times. A stainless steel milk can with a tight fitting lid. Like you mentioned, you start by lining the bottom with corn husks. This keeps things from burning. First layer, some fresh kielbasa (Polish sausage) then potatoes,carrots,cabbage, sweet corn or whatever you think you might like. The order of layers depends on cook time. Things that take the longest are closest to the bottom. Pour about 1 qt. of water in and cover tightly. The milk can can be placed directly on the hot coals. When steam starts, loosen lid slightly and allow to cook for about an hour. Then get ready for about the best boiled dinner you ever had. Best way to serve is to empty the entire contents onto a table covered with newspaper and enjoy.

I never thought of a milk can, I think that would be just about perfect in size. However where to buy one is a question for someone living in the suburbs of Detroit

Milk cans are very hard to come by. Not too many people willing to give them up even for a price. I did some searching online and came up with this site. www.indiamart.com Do a search under more products. I appears you could get a new one from them. One thing I forgot to mention when layering the can is to put some of the sausage on top so the juices run down through all the vegetables below. TASTEEE

Sounds similar in concept to dutch oven cooking. Now there's a treat!
    Fishman

Lehman's has them, but they are $200, ouch.

Back in the 60's . My uncle used to have clam boils at his place on the bay in Rhode Island. He had an old beer keg with the top cut off. Everything went into the keg, sausages, chicken, clams and I don't remember what all else. This was doused with beer from an intact keg that happend to be very close by and a potato was placed on top. It was set on a pile of coals and covered with a wet tarp of some sort. When the potato was done, we ate. MMM, MMM,MMM
    David

I wonder about using a galvanized trash can though, but cant think of what else to use.

bookkeeping services

Quote Originally Posted by teramin56 View Post
    I wonder about using a galvanized trash can though, but cant think of what else to use.

bookkeeping services
    propane gas grill?