I have had turkey most everyway in my 58 years, but by far, the best turkey that I make is "garbage can turkey". Sounds weird but when you buy a new galvanized garbage can and clean it out you have a lot more confidence in its cleanlieness. After the turkey is staked approx a foot off the ground and aluminum foil spread under it, the garbage can goes over it. I simply place coals from my nearby fire around the can where it touches the ground. You do not want intense heat. I can put my finger on the top of the stove without burning although I would not want to leave my finger there long LOL! It takes 1 hour per 5 lbs plus 1 hour (the extra hour crisps the skin). NOTE: I wrap a bit of wire around the bird to keep the wings and legs from dangling as it cooks. The end result is a very crispy, juicy, brown skinned delicious turkey which took no real effort nor fossil fuel to cook. We find this way of cooking our thanksgiving turkey is very enjoyable and even the cook can enjoy the beautiful weather and an occassional cold beer. We have 6 very busy grandchildren and we are too afraid to use a deep fryer to cook outdoor turkeys.