Thread: Great Hunting Dogs - Yea Right!

Great Hunting Dogs - Yea Right!

We have 3 dogs now at our new place in the country. One is a 9 yr old Yellow Lab/Husky mix, one is a 1yr old BlueTick/Lab/Beagle (we think) mix, & the other is a 9 month old Weimeramer. Today they brought game home twice. Well I'm embarrassed to say that they apparently think that it was game. Both times they had tracked, hunted, & captured feared and elusive "BOX TURTLE". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Fortunately I was able to set the quick little guys loose in the woods unarmed.
    Anyway, here's a shot of our dogs with our daughter...

Re: Great Hunting Dogs - Yea Right!

Well, at least it wasn't the neighbors chickens. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

That’s a great looking family!
    We had a 120-pound chocolate lab name Rhino who was unbelievable hunter. One day when he was nearly 12 years old and only able to use three of his legs he went out for his morning walk.
    He came home with a freshly cooked turkey. Not still warm, this was the day after Christmas, but lots of good clean meat on it. Apparently one of our neighbors down the street had a BBQ and left the turkey out on the porch (cold enough that time of year).
    Too much of an invitation for a champion turkey hunter like Rhino!
    We deboned it and let him finish it off. Figured the owner didn't want it back...

shade2u2, Sure glad you released the turtle unarmed. There has been entirely too much weapons related violence from those upity anphibians. I'm sorry, the devil made me do it! I had an Air Force buddy that had a Siamese cat that they kept on a real long lead in the back yard of their house on base. As they were at the edge of the housing area their yard backed on an area of tall weeds. It was something to see the cat stalking ground squirrels while dragging at least 50-75 feet of white clothesline rope. The lead would move the bushes in an arc so you could track the cats progress when she was in the weeds and out of direct sight. Even dragging the rope she could catch as many as 5-6 ground squirrels in a single day. She piled them up on the back porch like cord wood and always brought her humans to see her good deeds. You could tell she was real proud to be providing so well for her family. I guess ground squirrels aren't so smart. They used to get run over in groups. ONe got hit then as his buddies came out to canabalize the fresh freeway pizza they would get hit and so forth. Might see 6-8 almost in a pile. Still, credit where credit is due, for a cat draging a rope through tall weeds that Siamese did real good.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"