Thread: Garden Crops, and what they need ?

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Garden Crops, and what they need ?

I've been gardening for about 8-10 years, but I still have some problems growing certain things. I've had great luck with Tomatoes, Onions, and Beets. I've also had less than great results with Sweet Corn, and Peppers. I also grow potatoes, watermelon, lettuce, and pickles. I understand that crops need different things to produce. So I'm asking for help here. Next year I'm going to section off my garden so that I can add whatever I need to grow these vegatables. I need to hear from people who have had success growing these crops. I currently use Humus Manure, Sawdust, and Lime. I thank anyone in advance for their help.

Kent

Re: Garden Crops, and what they need ?

I finally found the missing ingredients for successful corn this summer, space and multiple varieties. This year's corn patch had three varieties and was about as big as my previous garden, ~30X50. Previously, I would plant 3 or 4 short rows and be lucky to get a few ears. This year with the bigger patch we were eating corn 3-4 times a week, giving some away and feeding some to the chickens for about a month. We didn't even have problems with worms until the last week or so.

If you haven't had the soil tested yet, get it tested so that you have the official recommendations as to what should be added to the soil.

Thanks Andy,

I'm glad you had good luck with the corn. I guess next year I'll plant more rows. Thanks

Kent

Ya, I would get a soil test. It will give you a baseline to see what the soil needs. Also in the off seson, I would through as much Organic matter in as possable. Fall leaves, grass clippings, etc. This will decompose over the winter, and help improve the soil. As for the corn, about all I do know is they are a real heavy feeder. Need loots of food. Good luck next year.
    Paul Bradway

Thanks, I'm definitely having the soil tested next year. I do think that feeding the plants is important. I only gave my garden food one time this year due to the dry weather. I need to set something up on my water pump so I can run garden feed through it. Thanks again.

Kent

Steelfan,

Size of the patch is definitely instrumental in the success of sweet corn. Pollenation occurs via wind drift, so a big square patch is your best bet. In my experience a 20'x15' patch is about a small as you should go.

Peppers love sun, and really like frequent doses of water/soluble fertilizer. When I was a kid in Missouri, we had our best luck mulching around peppers with a few shovelfulls of sand. Here in TX, I just use straw, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

In poor soils, you just can't beat a program of fertilizing everything every two weeks with a water-soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro. I view this as just one part of the program however. Tilling in mulch, green manure, and other soil modifiers is very important also.

It's also very important not add excessive nitrogen. Otherwise your plant will only grow big green leaves, which is o.k. for spinach but not for tomatoes! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Thanks for the reply, Fishman. I'm going to get more aggressive about fertilizing next year - specializing certain areas of the garden for crops. Thanks again!
    Kent

Our soil tests give a rough guide for different groups of "feeders" - heavy, medium & light.
    I have been fooling a bit with peppers from bells to arguably the hottest in the world, and several in between - gotta go get my tabasco's for sauce!!! You will find that treating them like tomatos works well. I'm going to try some of the gardens alive Tomatoes Alive Plus , and while getting that link I saw the Sweet Corn Alive, both a bit spendy, but I'll try it.
    Ditto the above on corn rows. Just curious, what corn cultivar are you growing? (I'm going now to post a question about that... thanks for the memory jog)
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052