Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarter Horses

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Quarter Horses

We have one horse of our own, a Belgian filly. She's one year, four months old. We were boarding our friends three horses in our barn for the past two years, and they finally built their own barn. So now we're ready to get more of our own horses, as companions to our Belgian, Rosie, and also to, hopefully, eventually ride. We want to adopt horses from a rescue group, to give horses who need it, a good home. Thats how we got Rosie, she was a PMU foal, and we got her at four months old. She is doing very well in her training, and she's incredibly sweet and affectionate.

We went to the rescue group that we got Rosie from over the weekend, and we found a pair of quarter horses that we're considering adopting. They are a pair of geldings, that were in a children's camp. They were literally worked to the bone. They are undernourished, and have some medical problems that I am hoping can be cured without too much trouble. One has rain scald on his back. He also may have an absess on one foot, and it's possible he may have foundered in the past. The other has swelling on his legs in two places. The swelling seems to be fluid filled, and not painful. We think they may be bruises. The horses have been with the rescue group for three weeks, and are now under vetinary care. They are gaining weight and doing well. The swelling on one is going down, and the rain scald on the other is slowly healing.

Apparently the camp that owned them didn't want to spend money on vets for them, so they put them in an auction. The rescue group saved them from the meat market. Despite what this pair has been through, they are incredibly friendly and gentle. They want to be petted and rubbed, and they put their heads on you while you're doing it, and they fall asleep on you.

We're most worried about the horse that may have foundered. We just went through a horrible experience with one of the horses that we were boarding. She had Cushing's Disease, and foundered, and had to be put down last Tuesday. I took that really hard, I was very attached to her, and she was to me. I don't want to go through that again, but both my wife and I became immediately fixated on these two gentle and sweet horses. I was always afraid to deal with hotbloods, but these guys are so gentle.

So...Does anybody have any advice? I also know little about quarter horses, and need to know if they'll have any special requirements. I'm looking forward to Cowboydoc's response, as few people know quarter horses better than him! I'm hoping there may be others with advice, too.

Thanks in advance!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Quarter Horses

RichZ, I am looking forward to the responses, too. We have a TB/QH mare, an Appaloosa gelding and a paint gelding. We also had a TW for a while. We haven't noticed any differences between the breeds in terms of care for them. We've noticed more differences between them as individual horses. For example, the TB/QH has hoof issues that require shoes with a bar across the back. She also throws shoes much easier than the other 2, so it's not unusual for my wife to plan to ride her, only to find out she has to call the farrier instead. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

hi rich i have a quaterhorse that the vet has told me foundered in the past he is about 20 years now we have had him for about 12 years now and have had no problems we watch his green grass intake we also have three T/B and one wild mustang. the quarter horse was the first and easiest too ride and great with kids he is bomb proof but all the horses get the same care.

If you're looking for a horse to ride keep looking. These horses are just too far gone to make good riders. You will constantly be fighting the founder. I know people's hearts are in the right places but there are so many good horses out there that alot of these horses really do need to go to the killer.

Honestly for what you are looking for Rich there are alot of nice riding horses out there that are 100% sound and will make you a great horse for a long time. These horses lives are already going to be cut short because of all that has happened to them. Find yourself a nice 5-7 year old that you can enjoy for many years to come. It's hard enough to keep one that has never had problems going much less starting out in the hole on one.

If you are deadset on these horses just know you will have to constantly be doctoring this horses feet. He will always need corrective shoeing, very expensive, and you will have to constantly be watching out that he never founders again. Also I would have x-rays done. If the coffin bone is turned too far and the sole is already flat he will already be nothing more than a pasture ornament.

With regard to swelling in the legs that could be a number of things. I definitely wouldn't get these horses until they are 100%. Just based on what you've told me you could easily spend thousands of dollars in vet bills.

btw if you really want to adopt something get a mustang. If you treat them right they make some very fine riding horses. They take awhile to get trained but once you do they are very loyal and you can't get a horse that is more hardy and has better feet. That is one breed I would highly recommend adopting. When you get one and train, feed, and treat them right you have something.

There used to be a wild horse adoption center 2 miles from us. (Their contract was not renewed when the govt consolidated the program) The wild horses are a sight to see. I think horses are majestic anyway, but these wild horses were something special. Needless to say, I agree about adopting one. But they're going to require a good time commitment to train.

I never knew there were places to adopot horses. Boy, and I felt good getting a dog from the pound, you jump that up a notch or two.[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My wife realy loves horses,she used to show ride when she was a kid, and we wish we could have some, but it cost SO much money, and with the constent care needed, I don't think we will ever have any. Me? I know nothing about horses. Had a frend with a few TB's, but thats it. Oh, dumb questen time. Whats foundering?
    Paul Bradway

cowboydoc question? we adopted a mustang from gov. he is 3 years old we have had him 1 year he was getting settled in we can approch him and touch his nose mouth and sometimes his sides a vet said we probably would not be able to ride him because he is 3 what due you think we just had him gelded and are working in a round ring will he be ok with outher horses in one pen thanks
    EDT

That vet doesn't know what he's talking about. I've broke these mustangs as old as 10 years that had never seen a person in their lives. They make excellent riding horses. I would keep him penned up until you have him broke. If you aren't experienced in it find a good natural trainer. Roundpen training works the best for these guys. The main thing is you have to remember to go slow.

Thanks cowboydoc that is good news this is a new vet too us the old one changed too just small animals [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] we are checking for outher vets
    Thanks again EDT