Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarter Horses

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Quarter Horses

Hi, Paul! If you have your own barn, paddock and pasture, keeping horses is not really much more expensive than keeping any other pet. They do eat a lot, but horse feed is cheaper than dog food! Adoption fees range from $500 - $1000 or even more, depending on the amount of vet fees the rescue group had to spend on each horse.

Once you're done with your house, if you're interested, my wife and I can take you to the rescue center, and help you out to get you started. My first love is dogs, but I really love horses, too! They're wonderful animals, and can be very loyal friends!

Foundering is a disease that effects the feet. It can be caused by several things, such as excessive walking on a hard surface, but it's usually caused by a horses eating excessive protein in a short period of time, such as a horse getting into a grain bin, or a horse eating excessive new growth grass in the sping. Early new growth grass has a great deal of protein, and some horses can't handle it. The excess protein can cause a metabolic problem that manifests itself in the feet. The feet become hot to the touch, and the condition can cause the coffin bone, which is just abouve the hoof, to actually rotate, and deform the whole foot. In extreme cases the hoof can even come off! Horses usually recover, but other conditons, such as Cushings Disease (a tumor on the adrenal gland) can cause complications that can be fatal. Once a horse founders, you always have to be on the watch to prevent its recurrence.

OK, Richard, did I explain that right?
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Richard, adopting a mustang is a great idea! But I think I'm going to wait until I'm a more experienced horse owner. I'm still working out training my Belgian, and I think her temperment is a bit more mellow than a mustang! But I love the idea!

I think you know now, that I am very committed (or perhaps should be committed?[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) to my goals of establishing a working farm, and having livestock. I think a mustang will be in our future! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich

No barn, or no paddock. I think Horses may be a ways off. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I got three dogs now, and they take most of my time, but thanks. My wife on the other hand, if she sees this post, she will be down adopting them all.[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] She LOVES horses. Maby we will start with a goat, or two first. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Rich explanantion on founder was good. Horses can founder for any reason though, even stress. I've had them founder just from moving to a new place, traveling, etc. It's one of those medical mysteries why.

With regard to the cost of horses I wouldn't say as cheap as a dog though!!! I raise all my own feed and still figure it costs me $30 a month just to feed a horse. Most people I know spend about $75-100 a month buying feed. A dog just put some food in a bowl and he's good. 50lb. bag of food lasts him a month. With the horses they get 5-10lbs. of grain a day, 20 lbs. of hay, salt blocks, and loose mineral. Then don't forget farrier work every 6-8 weeks. About $45-60 for a basic shoe job, $20-35 for a trim job. Then you have to worm them every 2 months. That's about $10 a dose. Then they need to have shots a couple times a year. That's about $40 and now with West Nile make that $80 and that's doing it yourself. Figure about $150 or better if you have the vet come out and do it. Usually more vet bills and higher bills as well. Then if you are going to ride you've got to consider a horse trailer, pickup, saddle, tack, etc. Then you need somewhere to ride so now you need an arena....LOL the horse deal just keeps going on and on and on.....

Richard, everything you say about the care of horses is true, but in my case, it's not much different than dogs. In the best case scenario, I guess owning dogs can be cheap. We have three, and I don't think a month goes by when at least one of them is in the vet's office for something. Then as far as food goes, I believe premium pet foods are worth the money. A dog's life is not very long, but it can be extended, however slightly, by proper nutrition. We give our dogs various vitamins and supplements. All that costs money. Our mastiff had to have surgeires on each of his knees for $1700 each knee.

Owning any animal can be expensive. With us, a farm call for our horse or goats, doesn't cost any more than an office visit for our dogs.

Of course, I'm not considering tack supplies. If you add tack supplies for horses, no contest, horses are more expensive!
    Rich

<font color="red"> We have three, and I don't think a month goes by when at least one of them is in the vet's office for something. </font color>

You got that right! We got three also, and just there shots, and hart worm meds kill us. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] So far we have been lucky not to have a big bills. But they are all getting old now, so there coming. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Here's an update on the quarter horses we're considering adopting. The rescue group had a second vet look at the one who might have foundered. They're main vet is a young inexperienced vet, who gives them a break in vets fees. They called in a more experienced vet to look at the horse. For various reasons, he feels the horse had a foot injury, and probably did not founder, at least not recently.

The director of the rescue group also made us an offer that we can't refuse. She realizes how much we love our animals, and the fact that we would give these two guys the best care possible and a lot of love. She said that we could foster the horses until we determine whether or not we want to make a permanent committment on keeping them. Of course in my wife's and my case, once we have them we probably will never be willing to give them up. So we'll be getting them as soon as we can arrange to have a trailer pick them up for the 65 mile trip. I'm pretty sure we'll be adopting them permanently very soon after that.

And by extreme luck and coincidence, we got a flier from Tractor Supply Company, that says they're having a 10% off sale with all TSC credit card purchases this Saturaday and Sunday. We'll be buying some tack, feed buckets and other stuff there![img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich

Rich,

Congats! You two are doing a good thing. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hope all works out well. Eaven if there are more problems with them, at least you are giving them a good home. So get that TSC charge card smoking, and get their new home ready for them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Thanks, Paul!! We're excited!! We're already thinking of names for them: Felix and Oscar, or Bert and Ernie, or Ben and Jerry, or Jerry and Bob(Grateful Dead reference). Any suggestions of an interesting pair of names for a pair of geldings would be appreciated!!

Maybe we'll name one Johnny and the other Miller. Would my buddy be honored????[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Rich

<font color="red"> interesting pair of names for a pair of geldings would be appreciated </font color>

<font color="red"> name one Johnny and the other Miller. Would my buddy be honored </font color>

Ah Um?? Maby not. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway