Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Quarter Horses

Re: Quarter Horses

<font color="red"> But...who needs sleep!! </font color>

I know that feeling. With the new baby and all. Sometimes its just worth it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Hey Rich. How are those new horses doing? Every thing still going good? Any new ones coming? You got to fill that barn you know. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Our horses are doing great!! They've both gained weight. Leo has gained over 200 pounds, and Chase has gained over 50 pounds. They're both looking and acting great. I'll get some more pictures soon, and post them. They don't even look like the same horses. Our vets are very pleased with their progress. In fact they were over the other day, and cleared them to be able to go in the pasture, so we let them out with our Belgian filly, Rosie. The three of them were so happy they galloped around like crazy. They were having such a good time, I watched them for over an hour. Periodically each one would run up to me and whinny and dance around, and then run back off with the others. I just know they were saying "Thanks, Dad, this is great, we're having fun!"

So now they have free access to the pasture. Every morning and evening, I call them in to have their grain, and they all come galloping into the barn. Each one of them comes when I call their name. They're a lot of fun, and we'll probably be able to start riding them in the spring.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Over 200# gain in 7 weeks? What and how much are you feeding those boys? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

First, they get free acess to all the hay they want. Every morning and evening they each get a scoop (probably 3 - 4 pounds) of Legends 12 Horse Feed. Chase gets textured and Leo gets pellets, because Leo may have foundered in the past, the pellets have less carbohydrates. They also get 4 ounces of corn oil mixed into their feed at each feeding. That increases their calories without increasing their carbs. Then, I make sure that they get plenty of exercise, so they develop muscle and not fat.

Actually, we're not as happy with Chase only gaining 50 pounds, so our vet has suggested another supplement which we'll get at our tack shop Saturday. I'll let you know what that is, I don't have the name with me.
    Rich

<font color="red">I just know they were saying "Thanks, Dad, this is great, we're having fun!"
    </font color>

LMAO. I know that look. When ever we go to our house on the cape, the dogs go running around on the sand in the yard, then run up and "say" Thanks, "We love it here"
    Paul Bradway

Just curious, has any one looked under the upper lip of those two to see if they have been tattoed? What are you using for wormer??

Yep we checked, no tattoos. The rescue center we got them from wormed them when we got them. We're getting ready to worm them now, and we'll use Quest this time, since it's a different wormer, and since the bott fly season is now over here in New York, we want to make sure they don't have any botts. Quest is supposed to be the best for botts, but you have to be careful with the dosage, which we are. Our vets said we shouldn't have any problem with it, since the boys are now very healthy.
    Rich

http://www.valleyvet.com/si_worm_facts.html. This could come in handy down the road. This place has the best prices and no sales tax. bcs

Quest is a great wormer. As you said, the danger in using it is when the horse is not healthy due to an unusually high parasite load. Too many worms can die too quickly.

I have a bad habit of "sampling" all kinds of pet products, dog food, sweet feed, alfalfa cubes, etc. I noticed my horses seemed to prefer the taste of Quest over other brands so I took a little lick of it out of stupidity. Within 10 minutes I was too sick to crawl. FYI, Purina Equine Senior pellets are delicious.