Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Quarter Horses

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Quarter Horses

My Belgian fillie hates the taste of any wormer, even Quest. One time that I gave her Quest, I struggled to get the syringe in her mouth, and I finally managed to shoot it in her mouth. Then I struggled to hold her head back, and I rubbed her throat for about five minutes. I figured that by then she would have swollowed, and I let go of her head. She turned her head, and spit out all the Quest all over me, and stormed out of the barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Even though I was covered with a mix of Quest and horse saliva, I couldn't help cracking up laughing. I couldn't believe that she managed to hold the stuff in her mouth that long, and then spit it all over me. Don't ever tell me that horses, aren't smart, she got her message across![img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The next time I gave her Quest, I mixed it in her grain. She tasted the grain, and kind of glared at me, but she's such a glutton that she ate it all anyway![img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Something to try on horses you have trouble worming:

Keep a few used wormer plungers and get a big jar of applesauce. Every few days, fill the plunger with sauce and give her a "dose". Then when she gets the real stuff she'll be so greedy for it she'll swallow it thoroughly before she knows any different. Also smear sauce all over the real stuff before sticking it in her mouth. There'll be no more wormer go to waste I guarantee!

<font color="red"> I figured that by then she would have swollowed, and I let go of her head. She turned her head, and spit out all the Quest all over me, and stormed out of the barn. Even though I was covered with a mix of Quest and horse saliva, I couldn't help cracking up laughing. </font color>

LMAO!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I can just see that. Thanks, after the week I have had, I need a good chuckle.
    Paul Bradway

Thanks!!! That is a GREAT idea!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But it'll still be tricky getting my horses to even take the syringe with applesauce. They run into the pasture as soon as they even see the syringe. I'll have to lock each one in a stall to try it, but I'm sure it'll be worth it!!

It gets tough wrestling with horses to give them their wormers!! Luckily, all three of mine are very sensitive, and they do react if I yell at them and tell them they're misbehaving, but that only lasts for about a minute! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hopefully that will be long enough to get the applesauce in them!![img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks, again!!![img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rich

I'm glad you were amused, Paul!![img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I only wish there was someone with me to see it!! If I thought it was funny, someone who saw it would have been hysterical!!![img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Rich

We've been out of horses for a while. My wife used to inject her wormers into her Belgian (and TB and other breeds) nostrils. Is this not a good idea??? She even does this for some meds for our dogs (but not all meds, I' m kind of out of the curve on this, since it is not my chore [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ).

No not a good idea at all!!! First the nasal route leads to the sinuses and you can get the wormer in there and possibly cause a bad infection. Second you want the wormer in the stomach and the digestive system to do it's job. By the time the wormer makes it through the nasal pathways in a best case scenario you've lost alot of the wormer to absorption into the tissues which is fine but it doesn't kill many worms in the gut. Lastly the nasal tissues are very sensitive and you could very well damage them with the properties in wormer.

BTW where this came from is the old pratice of tube worming where they stuck the tube through the nose to get to the stomach that way. This is a good way to tube worm but it just doesn't work with paste wormers. Take a look at the anatomy of the nasal and sinus system and you'll see all the areas that the wormer can get caught and absorbed before it reaches the stomach.

<font color="purple"> BTW where this came from is the old pratice of tube worming where they stuck the tube through the nose to get to the stomach that way </font color>

Which is probably where she acquired the practice, as she was born in the early '50's into a family that always had horses.

I TRY to lay it along the cheek, where the tongue has trouble getting to it, notice I said TRY. Old fashion tubing you knew where it was till they sneezed at the wrong time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]