Thread: Ever heard of Sani-tred products?

Ever heard of Sani-tred products?

I have a low-pitch roof and have annual ice buildup during the winter months. It is a shingled roof and is only 5 years old (prior to my purchase). The previous owner put heat tape all over the edge which works to some extent but is not a fix.

I have talked with a few builders in the area and they stated that they would go with a rubber roof (almost exclusively). One stated that I should increase the pitch and add about 2 to 3 feet to the peak. Guess he needed a fall new roof project. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

There are only a couple of people in the area that do rubber roofs and they will not be able to do it this year. Thus, I started looking for homeowner products that would work.

I came across this Sani-tred product. It looks lika a commercial product but available for the general public.
    Here is the url: Sani-tred Roofing product

Has anyone heard of it? Tried it? Any info or alternative products would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Rich

Re: Ever heard of Sani-tred products?

Mornng Rich, I've found that you can replace roofing type and hide the problem. But the problem is still there. Have you tried increasing the insulation in the attic? Also, if it was done before you, does it go all the way to the outside? I've seen where some contractors will not push the insulation all the way in, (takes too much time). If you have plenty of insulation, are the roof vents working? Remember if the ice is building up on the roof, it's coming out of your wallet.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Good Morning Mike,

This section of roof is over the Cathedral Ceiling and there isn't a way to check how the insulation is fairing above without taking the ceiling down.

What I was planning on doing was putting down a 1" foam insulation on the existing roof with 3/4" T&amp;G plywood over the top and then put this product down. This is also the same method that the rubber roof contractors were going to employ.

One other item that compounds the issue is that the two flue chimney for both the living room fireplace and the house furnace is above this section of roof. Thus it heats up (chimney) and melts the snow around it which flows down to this section.

I have attached the layout of the roof and where the sun passes during the winter.

Would a metal roof work? The snow and Ice should just slide off.

I had thought about that also. The cost for metal roof is not much lower than that of this sanitred product with the foam insulation and plywood.

With the metal if there is still a backup/buildup it has the potential of leaking. With this, if it works as advertised, even if the ice backs up it is completely sealed and will not leak through. In their documentation/web site it shows it on flat commercial buildings.

Well that is my reasoning at least. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]