Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine

Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine

Hello Friends....

My wife enjoys the hobby of quilting and she has been looking to purchase a good used Singer featherweight sewing machine for sewing small quilt patches. Featherweights are small sewing machines used almost exclusively for sewing quilts. She has tried to find them on Ebay with no luck. We have also visited sewing stores and craft fairs, again with no luck.

Would any CBNers know where my wife could find a good vintage featherweight in the northeastern US, early 1950s model, in good condition, that she could preferably see in person and try before purchasing?

Thanks!!

Regards,
    Bob Ancar
    Cambridge, NY

Re: Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine

I don't know where these folks are located, but it might be worth a call.
    Just checked the main web page , and it looks like they are in California.

And here's another seller in Oklahoma.
    And yet another seller, who knows where.

By the way, when I checked ebay , i got lots of hits. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Good luck! I know my wife would love to have one of these also, but they're pretty pricey. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Eagle Ridge

Thanks Bill for the leads on these websites. They look promising. We'll be following up on these.

The problem we had with Ebay was the featherweights my wife came upon were mediocre in quality and they were being bid up to an exorbitant amount. She's looking for a specific model made around 1952 and the only ones she's found have had numerous defects. She would also like to try them before purchasing. We can't practically do that with the Ebay machines that go up for auction. That's why our focus right now is on the northeast U.S., a region in close proximity to where we live so we could actually travel to see and try the unit before purchasing. We don't mind paying top dollar, but for the premium price being bid for these machines we were hoping we could get a quality product in return. Thanks again.

Bob

Bill and Bob:

If you all could convince your wives to start posting here, I could probably convince mine that
    there is a reason to learn how to use the computer and start posting too.

I showed her CBN because I'm always telling her about the connversations on TBN but since there wasn't much
    content here yet, she just said "uuhh, huuhh"?

She would really like to converse about Quilting!

WVBill

<font color="blue"> If you all could convince your wives to start posting here,</font color>

I'll try Bill...but, my wife has never been into discussion forums....she says you have to be careful, you never know what kind of kooks you find on the internet. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I try to tell her these are all normal people but she's still skeptical. That's why I'm posting this subject on featherweights instead of her....I frankly don't really know what they are but my wife raves about them and says they are a necessity for quilt making.

I'll keep on trying to convince Judy to sign up though. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I totally understand. My wife just has trouble getting technology to work.
    Just last night I was on a web page for doll and quilt patterns
    printing out all of the pages for her. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

By the way, my wife loves her Bernina for her quilting and doll making.

I would try talking to Von. He's got that antique shop, and probably talks to other folks with antiques. Maybe he could line you up with something, or point you in a good direction.

Did she ever get the Featherweight? I know someone on the west coast who is honest and has terrific machines.
    Tami

Glad there are som many leads here to folks who know about sewing machines. I have sewed for years but all simple stuff and have always wanted a more heavy duty machine than my plastic Singer. Recently a friend gave me an old Singer commercial/industrial machine with table, light, etc. What a deal. It is essentially all there sans instruction manual. I'll have to try to find a manual. Now when I want to sew something HD maybe I won't be breaking so many needles and stalling the motor so much.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat - the older Singers are so much better than the newer ones. I wish you a lot of good times with it. Tami