Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off-Topic, Gone ?

Re: Off-Topic, Gone ?

Fishman, I ponder this question. If a group of guys met up at a tractor show, they would have been drawn there by their mutual interest, but they would surely discuss a few things that were unrelated to the event that drew them together. Such a conversation would be 'off-topic', yet it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm not going to speak for Muhammad, but I think the reason for NOT having an Off-Topic forum, is that it is getting away from the purpose of the Website.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

<font color="red"> is that it is getting away from the purpose of the Website. </font color>

I always assumed that the site served two purposes, talking about the subject, and talking with your friends, not necessarily about the main topic. Granted if someone wants to start flaming, it's not a good thing. But, thankfully, that doesn't happen often.

Using the country store analogy, every one either sat around the pickle barrel, (how many remember those?) and talked about the potatoes coming in, or they hung around the hammers and talked about their new hunting dog.

A lot of people here with alot of interests, and believe it or not, I think it works to have the pickle barrel to sit around.

Of course, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

<font color="blue">Well, we're considering the options.</font color>

I find that interesting and a little confusing.

The first consideration on my part is that no one is forced to wade through a thread they're not interested in. I don't have to read about blue on blue or orange on orange or even blue on orange. And we don't even want to go where green can take us.

So if someone doesn't like a subject why must it be removed from everyone?

It is self limiting by the very nature of discussion forums. If there's interest then there's traffic. If there's no interest then there's no traffic.

I see the criteria expressed by TBN management for discussions just about perfect. Be polite, show respect, keep it clean.

It is their site. They can make the rules. That is their option.

We also have ours, right? <font color="blue"> </font color>

<font color="blue">The first consideration on my part is that no one is forced to wade through a thread they're not interested in. </font color>

Agreed, Harv.

One of my hobbies has been electronic forums for over 15 years now, including providing them via BBS's and web sites.

The off-topic area provides an outlet that helps to keep the remainder of the forums on-topic. It is easier for the user to ignore a single off-topic, anything-goes forum (or participate if they choose), and then expect to find relevant stuff in the "topic" forums.

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

All though I don't agree with getting rid of the Off Topic section, I can see Muhammad, MikePa, Harv, and others' points. Sometimes the subjects, and posts are uncalled for. I'm guilty of it myself. I also wonder how popular TBN would have been without it ? After all we as Forum Members do have very strong opinions, and ideas sometimes. I think that helped made TBN very interesting.

All this being said, the people, who run this site are the ones who make the decisions. They did a great job with TBN, and I think an even better job with CBN. My hats off to all, who are involved.

Kent

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue"> Is Off-Topic gone forever?</font color>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, the answer is a firm "YES."

As of yesterday, 'Off Topic &amp; Just For Fun' has ceased to exist on TBN. At this point it's essentially a title change as all the existing topics and posts are still there under the new title 'Related Topics.' The rules have changed as the posts hereinafter are to be on (what a surprise0 related topics.

As I recall, the biggest request was that posters avoid political topics, jokes and email forwards and try to keep to subjects related in some way to tractoring or something similar.

Gary, I just took a look at the TBN off-topic rules. It would seem that the rule changes are a lot more significant than just requiring users to stay away from politics, religion and jokes.

" <font color="blue">Additionally, the quantity and quality of Related Topics posts by each user will be monitored by the moderators. We don't like to see users posting 80% of their messages in threads not having anything to do with tractors. </font color>"

Looks like they want to reduce traffic on that site.

Administrator

We're not concerned with 25% of our traffic, if it's completely unrelated to tractors... since our site is about tractors, after all.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator