Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pole Barn Floors

Re: Pole Barn Floors

Just another cheap way of doing a floor is to take a bag of sakrete mix, one per square yard of floor area or so, and rototill it into the dirt, level it all out and roll/tamp. I've seen plans for this as a cheap kind of basketball court and it should work equally well for a pole barn floor. (Don't even bother to water - it will draw moisture from the dirt and air and harden up on its own

Sounds like a kind of Soil Cement!
    Leo

Yes, that's the stuff.

I put it down in my barn several years ago (prior to do any concrete work a year or so later) and the stuff worked like a champ. Hard as concrete, no dust, and really made a difference for things.

The local county uses it also - mine was in dry form and I spread it first, then sprayed water on top to wet it down and let it soak in. Took about an hour or so but after it dried then things were ok. Wasn't a problem for my dogs or other livestock either.

Good luck!

-Bob

Bob,

How does it hold up to vehicle traffic? Does it bust up, or does it hold together?

Steve

It holds up very well. I put quite a bit down, though, so that might have had something to do with it. If you don't blade or dig it out I'm sure it would last you for quite a while - I got at least 2 years out of mine before we put 6 inches of concrete over it for the flooring.

Good luck!

-Bob

Which stuff? Sodium Chrloide (salt) or Calcium Chloride? About what kind of coverage did you use? Did you use a spreader or something to get the coverage somewhat even?

Sounds like something I'll have to try. I have a lot to do in the coming years and thousands of sq feet of concrete floors isn't on the list. Thanks much [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

If I'm not mistaken, it was Calcium Chloride. I spread it with a lawn spreader and then watered it down afterwards. I used a pretty heavy coverage / covering (you couldn't always see the dirt floor after I laid it down) - which is what the dealer (who sold me the material) said I should do.

It was well worth the money - If I didn't put down the concrete, I'm sure I would have done it again.

Good luck!

-Bob

I've been hitting the floor $$ dilema myself and have been intrigued with this product Poly Pavement - soil solidifier I have no affiliation with them, but I will be buying one of thier 5gal buckets to try out for the dogrun/kennel i'm building.

Dan

Interesting find, Dan. That DOES look interesting. The cost is not horrible, either, and it sounds like it's perfect for a DIY project.

Unlike asphalt!