Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Building Project

Home Building Project

We're close to being done with our dream home. I've been keeping a running log over on TBN and finally had a spare moment to put some links over here. It's been a lot of fun for us and incredibly time consuming. Here's a couple of random thoughts on the process...

1) Find a builder you can work with. You will be connected at the hip with this person for many months. If you cannot work well with the individual your building experience will suffer greatly.

2) Plan on lots of stress. My wife and I have each given up several favorite activities (albeit temporarily) to be able to focus on the house.

3) Stay on top of the project. We're out there basically every day. We know the subs and the schedule. We catch problems while they are small which works to everyone's advantage.

4) Treat the subs with respect. We're paying these guys a lot of money for their skills. We lend a hand when it makes sense, keep them well stocked with donuts, cookies and the occasional adult beverage. We help out with the clean up which is greatly appreciated by everyone.

5) Speak up when something isn't right. We're spending a lot of money on a house we fully intend to live the rest of our lives in. If something bugs you today it will likely eat at you for as long as you live in the house. Say something! Most things can be corrected.

There's a lot more to consider but that's a start. This is our second home to build and we've enjoyed it. This one was more stressful as we have two children now. They aren't always as thrilled with the nightly trips to the property as we are.

Looking forward to moving [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

House
    Mud
    The Pour
    House II
    House III
    Rob

Re: Home Building Project

Rob,

I've took the liberty to create a post with some of your photos. You have gobs of them, so I am not doing them all. Ever consider getting yourself an online Photo Album, so you can just have a link to all of your pictures?

Planning:
    1 | 2

Frame Construction:
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Interior Construction:
    1 | 2 |3 | 4

Finished Outside:

Finished Garage:
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Hey thanks Dave! I did start an online album in AOL but I wasn't too happy with it. Can you recommend a better solution? Once we move, and things settle down a bit I do want to capture the entire building process. I have a series of shots taken from the same spot every time that shows the progression very nicely [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I use pbase.com for my online album.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Rob,

Glad you made it over here. We've all got to do our part to make sure that CBN gets off to a good start [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Same here Rob, glad to see you and gatorboy over here.

Thanks guys. I'm also trying to get my wife interested in CBN as there should be more relevant topics for her. She's not as comfortable with a virtual community as I have become.

Here's our latest update on the house, but no pictures [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Locked in on a mortgage rate yesterday. For those building and/or considering refinancing, rates are extremely attractive now [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm planning on taking tomorrow and Monday off to work through our "homeowner contribution" punchlist. Fireplace surround tile, porch posts, steps and railing and lots of painting on the porch. The hardwood guys will be in Saturday resanding and restaining the hardwood floors. Long story but they didn't get them as dark as we wanted. Builder won't commit yet, but I'm expecting another week before move-in. Trim guy has more to do in the master bath and the first floor windows. Painters follow him and the garage needs to be taped and painted. Light fixtures are hung and plumbing fixtures are going in. I told our three year old that in the new house he can't "go" in his diaper anymore. He seems OK with that concept but we'll see.

Hey KC, I see you are in southern MI. Where 'bouts? That loader of yours could be mighty handy [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Coldwater area, and sorry but the loader was just something I rented this summer to move the spoil from digging my pond deeper 2 years ago. I know this is tbn stuff but the pic shows how my tractor compared in size.

I thought the attached photo would be a fitting end to my home building thread. It's been a long haul and the name on the truck says a lot about it all. We were extremely involved throughout the process and even did some of the "real" work ourselves. I'm sitting here in our new den/office admiring the results as I keyboard. Thanks to the many (mostly on TBN) friends who offered suggestions and answers to my many questions. Hopefully I can be of help to those building in the future [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

YAHOOO!! I can't wait till I am at that point. Congrats!!!! I have had a busy day with my house project. I am going to post the story, and try to get some pictures.
    Paul Bradway