Thread: White-Fleshed Peach varieties for Western KY

White-Fleshed Peach varieties for Western KY

I'm looking to plant a small orchard-ette (a dozen trees) and am wondering if anyone knows of variety called somthin' like "Georgia Girl?" My brother has an orchard up in PA and he has these half dozen trees with white-flesed peaches he claims are of the Georgia Girl variety.... Two questions
    1) Has anyone heard of them or is he pulling my leg again?
    2) Is there a web-site to go to where I can look up geographic variety recommendations for any and all fruit trees?

I'm steeping into retirement in a few years and I'd kinda like to have a self-funding hobby (or two or three)

Thanx

Re: White-Fleshed Peach varieties for Western KY

I never heard of a "Georgia Girl" peach, but there are many varieties of white fleshed peaches. Personally, I've rarely seen them in my part of the country, but when I did, I thought they were probably the best tasting peaches I've found. If you go to Google.com and enter "white flesh peach" you'll find more than you want to read.

University horticulture programs are usually great places to look for advice about fruit trees, as well as other garden information. Search the UK and other university pages for "home gardening" and "home fruit production" information specific to your area. Outreach programs vary from one university to another, but most of them are very useful sources of information because that's part of their reason for existence. I use the University of Missouri horticulture pages for most of my gardening and fruit tree information.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/[/url]

Chuck

Chuck -

The MU Extension service is most hlepful. The only other sites I could find were Rutgers and Penn State and they were mainly east coast oriented. Being less than 100 miles from the boot heel I figure UM is more appropriate for me.

And yes - I found the name of the peach variety I was looking for- - Belle of Georgia [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanx,
    John

The white flesh peach is perhaps the best tasting in my opinion. We were stationed in Dover DE rented house that had a couple peach trees, that I literally had to prop up the branches to keep them from breaking, the peaches were soft-ball size and in some cases a little larger. But great eatin' and cookin'. The trees were culled from a local orchard, and were 10 years old but very prolific and excellent peaches. An old orchard keeper neighbor came over and showed me how to trim the trees which caused them to just produce more then ever. You've chosen a "peach" of a species, and I pray it works well for you in retirement. I'm lookin for similar opportunity, Best of everything,
    roy

We just put in our orchard, a little over 200 trees, a mix of Loring & Redhaven about 30 miles west of Paducah near Bardwell. Have some friends w/a peach orchard nearby with the same varieties - theirs is about 4 yrs old now & started producing last year.