Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ginseng

Re: Ginseng

Just a thought ( learned quite by accident) regarding ginseng seed germination.

As you probably know, ginseng is somewhat tricky because it requires both an extensive vernalization period (cold exposure), yet is very sensitive to dessication (drying out). I bought a bit more seed than I had time to plant last fall.....so I over wintered the seed in the fridge....and found that seeds stored sprouted on their own in the baggie this spring! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I don't know how they knew when to do that....the marvels of nature, eh?

All I did to keep them from drying out was to place a squeezed damp paper towel in the bag, refreshing it and shifting the seeds a little about once a week. Now I have about 50,000 sang sprouts [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

The sprouts are much more labor intensive to plant, but germination is not the problem for this patch.

Hope this helps.

Sabi

Interesting article.

The Sang Diggers... circa 1901

Hey, I live in the Charleston area of West Virginia. I have about 24 acresabout half of which is hillside. I too have thought about planting ginsang. Do you have any websites that would be helpful to the beginner??

The folks I bought my 2 yr, 1 yr, and seed ginseng was from Shady Oaks in Nitro. Their web site is Shady Oaks . They also provide a booklet on planting and harvesting ginseng. A lot of information can be found on their site.

You've gotten some good advice with respect to security of your ginseng crop. Before you have to concern yourself with that you need to get the plants up and growing. There are pests, voles being one, that can wipe out your crop quickly just as they do bulbs in flower beds. You can buy seeds that are scarified to make them germinate more quickly. There is a commercial grower in Lawrence Co., Tn. that has been in the business for 40yrs. or longer. Contact the Lawrence Co. Extension agent and maybe he can help you.

hi im in wv also. have been thinking about planting ginseng some place on my land. after its posted, and fenced,did you find a nursery to order plants from or are you sowing seeds? very intrested in your sorces i know very little about this plant, good luck on your venture. Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]