Thread: Beef Jerkey

Beef Jerkey

I'm looking for a recipe for jerky, Beff, Chicken, pork, deer, but mainly beef. The only one I have came with my dehydrator and I got one ore from a friend.

Since I'm be butchering a steer this year, I'll have lots of meat I can make into jerky!

Thanks!
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

Re: Beef Jerkey

<font color="blue"> I'm looking for a recipe for jerky</font color>

Unfortunately, my recipes are packed away in storage until we get into our new house sometime in early 2003.

I have made lots of this at home. Didn't have the luxury of a dehydrator, but used the oven rack on the lowest heat with the door propped open.

Basically, the marinade was a combination of some basic stuff like chile powder, pepper, garlic and onion powders, etc.

The most important ingredient, however, was "liquid smoke" [a little goes a long way, and it will permeate your fridge if you don't cover the marinade well]. You can find this smoke at most supermarkets; around here, it is in with the barbeque sauces and stuff like that. Sorry I don't have the recipe proportions with me.

Roger I have a very good one but it will take a few days to locate. It can be made in an oven but dosen't require liquid smoke though.

Patrick

see if you can find "claudes" brisket marinade - they're out of el paso - add red pepper and coarse black pepper to taste - soak overnite and dry the next day --- best I've found.

At our old place In Alberta I had built a combination Barbaque/smoke house out of bricks and used willow wood for firing. The racks were also made of thin willow wands bent and twisted together.

For beef jerky the marinade varied but consited mainly of [ Beer, worchestershire sauce,soya sauce,garlic,onions, hot peppers, black pepper, brown sugar ] The amounts changed a little from batch to batch as I never used a recipe. Didn't have to throw any away though.

Egon

I got a great one I'll post ASAP, it's home and I'm at work.
    I have used it on deer and friends have used it on beef.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Deer Jerky

2 pounds of venison (I use round steaks) sliced into thin strips
    2/3 cup of soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of garlic salt
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of red pepper
    2/3 cup of water
    2 teaspoons of liquid smoke
    (or ½ teaspoon of hickory smoking salt)
    Everything goes together and covered in a bowl and soak the meat overnight in the refrigerator.

It takes 3-4 hours on a dehydrator. Time may vary depending upon thickness of meat
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

I have never tried this one but got it off of the net some where ( I can't recall where [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ).

Beef Jerky Recipe

Ingredients
    Amount, Item &amp; Brand (If Applicable)
    5 Lb. Min (One piece preferred) Fresh Brisket (Lean) - Any brand
    You may substitute the beef brisket with your choice of meat
    20 oz Soy Sauce - Any brand
    15 oz Worcestershire Lea &amp; Perrings (preferred)
    20 oz Teriyaki sauce - Any brand
    2 - 4 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar - Any brand
    1 - 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder - Any brand
    1 - 2 tablespoons Onion Powder - Any brand
    1 - 2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper - Any brand
    5 oz bottle Liquid Smoke - Any Brand any type
    4 oz Dark Corn Syrup - Any brand

All ingredients can be more or less as you desire to your own taste except soy &amp; worcestershire which can be more, you must have enough liquid to cover meat.

Brown sugar and corn syrup can be to taste for sweetness or not used at all.

Add all liquid ingredients into container ( with lid is preferred or cover with a plastic wrap-or see tip below ) rinse each bottle with a dash of water and add this to the liquid. Now add all other ingredients into the container, stir frequently.
    Trim as much fat as possible off the brisket (meat). It is the fat on the meat that will go bad (rancid) not the meat. The meat is to be sliced with the grain as thin as possible (approx. 3/16"). This allows for more slices and a quicker drying time. Place into marinade as sliced. Make sure all meat is covered with the ingredients and stir meat occasionally to ensure all areas of meat have been exposed to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more, occasionally shaking or stirring the meat at least 2 more times.

Now when ready to dry, place aluminum foil on bottom of oven, cover bottom entirely. Try to make a pan out of the foil because of the drippings (remove when it is obvious that there are no more drippings this is usually a while after the meat has been turned over, you will notice that the drippings will have a tendency to give off a burning smell because it is laying on the bottom of the oven, you can replace the foil at any time to avoid this.) It is advisable to place paper towels on the oven door while open and loading the trays to catch the drippings. Place the meat across the racks filling the top rack first (highest position) and then the second rack (next highest position).
    Set temperature at lowest temperature possible (140 - 150 degrees). When visible dripping has stopped, all meat has to be turned over because the bottom of the meat will be more moist than the top. Also the top rack will drip onto the bottom rack and the bottom meat will be more moist than the top. The meat should be checked for consistency in drying and should be move around accordingly (from bottom rack to top, from edge to center etc.) The low heat is to dry the meat, not cook it. It should take approximately 2&amp;1/2 to 8 hours or more depending how many &amp; how thin the meat was sliced and the set temperature. Approximately the last 1 hour, the oven door should be propped open with a fork or spoon to dissipate the heat, to avoid cooking it is a good idea to leave the oven door propped open any time during the drying to keep a good flow of heat &amp; air. You can tell the meat is done when it no longer bends and you could break off a piece with ease. But the meat should not be so dry as to be crisp &amp; break. It is better to be less dry than over dried, because you can finish it by letting it air dry to perfection. This is now ready to eat, you can allow this to air dry an additional day or so in an open container. This will now keep in a sealed
    container (zip lock bags are great) for months refrigerated although I have kept my jerky for months unrefrigerated. Remember this meat will continue to dry unless placed in a sealed container once totally dried. Do not worry about color changes of the beef jerky it will get lighter and harder as it continues to dry over time. It is only important to keep the jerky away from humidity for long term storage.The net result of all this fun will give you approx. 2.5 to 3 lbs or more of the best jerky in town.

Tip from a user:
    One thing that I do that makes the marinating easier, is that I divide the meat and marinade into two of the big, plastic bags that zip shut. that way I can slosh it around to more evenly distribute the marinade, without the mess.

Hope this is what you where looking for. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]