Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much work IS a horse?

How much work IS a horse?

OK, reading RichZ's posts about the horses got me to thinking.[Ya, Ya,I know, thats not always a good thing [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ] How much work IS a horse? Is it a everyday, for hours type of a thing? How do you go away on vacation? I can bring the dogs with me, but its hard to fit a horse in the car. So whats invalved on a daly bases? Food, water? Grooming? Whats the deal. Can you get by a week, by just having someone stop by to feed, and water? I don't want to sound dumb, but I got NO idea. Thanks.
    Paul Bradway

Re: How much work IS a horse?

Caring for a horse is work [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , whether it's a lot of work is kind of subjective. It involves the following activities;

1. Feed and water twice a day, every day. Vacation? What's a vacation? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If we leave, we ask a relative to feed the horses for us. If we can't get a volunteer, someone stays home. How long this takes is a function of how many horses you have. Our three horses take 15-20 minutes to feed, twice a day. This counts the time it takes to walk to the barn.

2. Stalls should be cleaned out on a daily basis (my opinion) and bedding (straw, wood chips, etc.) added as needed. If you don't do it every day, it just builds up. For our three equine children, an hour a day.

3. The barn needs cleaned on a regular basis. Floor swept, tack room cleaned, etc. 3 hours a week

4. The horses should also be groomed (brushed, hooves cleaned, etc.) on a regular basis. Maybe not daily, but at least once per week. This is when you find things for the vet and farrier to do. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] 3 hours a week

5. Tack needs cleaned and maintained which is a function of how much you use it.

6. Water buckets, feed buckets, etc. needed cleaned on a regular basis.

7. Add in all the normal maintenance a barn needs.

8. Add in all the normal maintenance a horse trailer needs (assuming you have one).

9. Add in time spent on the phone arranging to be there for the farrier and vet. You don't always have to be there, but we prefer to be there.

10. Someone has to go the the feed store to get food, salt blocks, wood chips (what we use). One Saturday morning per month is dedicated to this trip and then unloading the supplies.

11. Unlike doc, we have to buy our hay from a local farmer. Pick the first nice weekend in April/May and the hottest weekend in July/August and guess what I am doing? The farmer calls and I go get hay.Sometimes he will bring a wagon full, but it needs unloaded right away if for no other reason than he needs it back to load more hay on it. Some people have hay delivered and stacked. Great if you can afford it.

Lotta work? Yep.

OK, So if you are going away, you would have to get someone to devote an hour, or two every day to take care of the horses? Normaly that does not seem like TOO much work. I find you spend a lot of time just hanging around looking for something to do anyways. Thanks.
    Paul Bradway

We are happy if we can find someone to just feed and water them, much less all the other daily activities. Someone in our area started a business that offers this service, but we haven't used them.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Mike did a great job of describing the work, but one man's work is another man's pleasure. I get up early every morning to clean Rosies' stall. I do it first thing before I take a shower. Believe it or not, I enjoy it! Then I groom her, and even play with her for a while, or else do some lead training, depending on how much time I have. To me, none of this stuff is work, but it is VERY TIME CONSUMING!!!

One thing you left out, Mike is brush hogging pastures and keeping the paddock in shape. And, oh yeah, I spend a lot of time mending fences, both wood fences and electric fences. Believe it or not, I love all of that.

Also, I'm trying my hand at growing my own hay. That takes a lot of time, but again, I love it. More tractor time!!!

Like anything else when it comes to animals, it's a committment!! And don't forget that horses can live over 30 years, so it's a long committment!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

<font color="red">That takes a lot of time, but again, I love it </font color>

Rich, That says it all! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Like anything, its not work unless you don't want to do it.
    Paul Bradway

For the last four years I've made a notch in the gatepost to my garden for every wheelbarrow full of horse manure I've dumped in there. I recently had to move to a different post because the original max'ed out at a little over 3,000 notches. I grow big tomatoes!

S1120, I'm glad you started this thread. I am in the early stages of building my barn and run-in shelter(s). I currently have the cement foundation poured and back filled and have a rough outline of where a 150' x 200' pen will go. I have been reading some books and magazines on the subject of horse care and management, but, I am fully aware of "Theory v.s. Reality". Theory is all written stuff and reality is all the info you gleen from horse owners on ByNet.com.
    You mentioned... what does a horse owner do on vacation? My wife asked that same question last week and luckily enough we have a neighbor down the road who offered to look after our horse/pony when we go away. So, for us, that solves one problem. I have always wanted a large animal like a horse...this will be a labor of love. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have some family down where I am moving, so I am sure I will have a neace, or nephew that would help out. But it is still a BIG step. Think we will hold off for awhile. My wife can go see other peoples horses.[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Hi s1120 my two cents we have 5 horses and mike is right my only difrence is my horses only go in the barn stall in the winter so i clean up there padock's outside about once a week no bedding in the out side houses they tend not to mess them up.BUT too be able too ride them at any time is the best we ride the beach the woods during fall and i love the winter both me and my wife split the duties we have a person who loves horses who feeds and water when we go away she also takes care of my dogs and cats my daughter loves them my son well he knows we have them [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    EDT