The amount of care depends on where you keep them and the season. The key to low maintenance is letting them free range on a pasture with good fences. Horses that are allowed to free range have significantly less problems then those kept in stalls and occasionally turned out. Horses kept in stalls always seem to have a higher incidence of intestinal problems, joint problems and hoof problems.

My horse is on a 3 acre pasture (for grazing) with a small pond (continuous water supply) and a loafing shed (to get out of the elements). He requires virtually no maintenance during the growing season. During the winter, I have to throw hay and grain.

As far as hoofs, it depends on the horse. If a horse has good hoofs, then they normally don't require shoes. Just occasional trimming (maybe every 8 weeks at $25.00).

Some horses may only require front shoes or all 4 shoes. In the case of my Palomino, generally horses with white pigmented hoofs generally have weak and soft hoof walls and soles. On top of that, our local soil is black clay and adds to the hoof problem. Because of this, he needs 4 shoes and trimming more frequently.

If your lucky, you can find a farrier who's good and who's willing to put your horse on a regular schedule. I just tell my farrier to "keep him in shoes" and he shows up when he's in the area doing other horses. All I ever see is a bill on my back door every 8 - 10 weeks for $60.00

Apart from that, you'll need an annual vet visit for shots, Coggins test and possibly having their teeth floated (filed). Worming you do yourself about 4 - 5 times a year. I'm pretty lucky, in that my neighbors and I all get together and have the vet come out to our place and tend to all our horses at once every spring. We share the "house call" fee between us.

One item to note: Always have a well stocked horse first aid kit. This includes wraps, dressing, diaper, antibiotic salve etc. Your vet can advise you on things to have on hand in case of an emergency.

Again, the key to low maintenance is to let the horse live in an environment that's as close to a natural setting as possible. Where they can graze and drink as they please, walk into a shelter as they need and sleep when required.

P.S.
Keep their environment hazard free. No sharp edges on anything, no trash laying around (such as tractor implements) and good safe fences. If there's something they can get hurt on, they will.