Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much work IS a horse?

Re: How much work IS a horse?

Yes, it takes some "work", but I wouldn't trade the joy I get from interacting with my horses every day for a year of vacation!

Larry
    Larry

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I agree, Larry! When we bought our farm, and started getting many animals, my wife and I agreed that the farm IS our vacation. We have no intention of going away for anything other than a family emergency. We'd rather have our animals than a vacation, any day!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

My daughter wanted a horse so badly that we extracted a promise that she would take care of him. She kept her part of the bargain but I was willing to lend a hand when necessary. We had about 4 acres of native pasture for grazing and we supplemented with oats and some hay in the winter months. The grooming was a whenever schedule but with little girls and their horses this was usually on a pretty regular basis. We found that the horse could survive very well during a week-long absence in the summer. Winter, of course, required feeding each day. Ample water is essential no matter what the season. Owning a horse in the country is a great experience but it's like the boatowner once said, two of the greatest days of his life had to do with his boat-the day he bought it and the day he sold it! Good luck
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

OK, Now for the REAL dumb question. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Outher then riding it, any thing else a horse is good for? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Not that I NEED it to do anything. I got three dogs that the only thing they do is get in your way, just a thought. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Some get to pull the bud wagon, but they have to be a Clydsdale.

<font color="blue"> I got three dogs that the only thing they do is get in your way, just a thought.</font color>

In the case of horses, you get in their way. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But seriously, other than riding the horse, people use them for pulling carriages, some use them for farm work. There's at least one oufit in my area that has a thriving carriage business. The owner has a number of great looking black horses (I forget the breed), that are used to pull ornate carriages for the bride and groom at weddings and at other special events. She arrives with a big Ford pickup, pulling a gooseneck trailer that contains the horses, their tack and the carriage. I don't know what she charges, but given the work she puts in, it's not enough!

<font color="red"> , you get in their way </font color>

LOL, I think the dogs think that also. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I never thought of pulling a cart. [duhhh, I'm a little slow sometimes] How hard is that on a horse? I'm just thinking, for me to ride a horse, it would have to be a BIG horse. I'm a big guy, and I would think riding would be hard on it.
    Paul Bradway

<font color="blue">I never thought of pulling a cart. How hard is that on a horse?</font color>
    Not hard at all, however they have to be trained to do it.

Actually Clydesdale isn't even the #1 breed for pulling. The #1 breed is Belgians. Then you have Percherons as well. They have several hitching and cart class competitions all across the country.

As far as what horses are used for they are used for ranching, rodeo, breeding, showing, and yes they are even used for eating in several countries.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Paul, horses can also be used for farm and logging work, instead of tractors.

But to me the most important thing is that they're sweet animals. They can be pets, and like any other pet, you might not expect them to do anything except show their love. And they're REAL good at that. Our Belgian, Rosie, is incredibly affectionate, just like a huge dog! She loves to be rubbed and petted, and she loves to give kisses. She even plays like a dog, she has a ball with a handle on it that she plays with. She's just a lot of fun to be with and play with.

We are training her though. Right now we're lead training her. She already walks on a lead and responds to verbal commands. I just started training her on a long lead, on which you have less conrol, so your verbal commands are even more important.

Our farrier is aslo a trainer, and just last week, he gave her her first lesson with him laying on her back! He also trains horses at Saratoga Race Track, and he said she responded as well on her first lesson on her back, as some thoroughbreds he's been training at Saratoga for 5 months! If it sounds like I'm proud of Rosie, it's because I am!

We eventually want to train her to pull a wagon and to ride, but Belgians shouldn't be riden until they're about three years old. But that's OK, because training her is fun! She actually gets excited when she sees the lead, and knows we'll be working together. She just loves the attention. And when she learns something new, she loves showing it off for people!

Horses are fun! I think if you love dogs, you'll love horses, too!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."